Underpinner advice wanted

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Fellows Framing
Organisation: Fellows Framing
Interests: Framing, Riding

Underpinner advice wanted

Post by Fellows Framing »

Hello all,

Can anyone help me please with 2 issues with my Inmes IM-2 Foot-Operated Underpinner?

1) Some the time one corner of the mitre is ever so slighty raised causing a slight bump, very frustraing as I cannot work out what is causing it as one corner is fine and then next not etc its inconsistent. Anyone know the answer?

2) It came 2nd hand and with two removeable pads one circular the other a triangle shape - is the any guidance on which moulding profile or width each should be used on?

Many thanks in advance.
Sarah
MikeSwannick
Organisation: Game of Frames
Interests: All things zombie. I also do data recovery.

Re: Underpinner advice wanted

Post by MikeSwannick »

Hi Sarah,

I have experienced your first issue. It turned out to be variations in the profile of the moulding despite being from the same batch. I was doing a handful of frames all with the same dimensions and the measurements worked out that it would be more time and cost effective to cut all the longer lengths in one go then cut the shorter lengths all from the same batch of moulding. That's when I noticed on some of the frames that usually 2 corners would exhibit the issue you describe. Assembling the errant pieces on a hard flat surface highlighted the variation. It was less obvious at the underpinner because of the underpinner mechanism being in the way.

Mike.
Fellows Framing
Organisation: Fellows Framing
Interests: Framing, Riding

Re: Underpinner advice wanted

Post by Fellows Framing »

Thank you Mike. I was cutting the 4 lengths from 2 moulding lengths to so hopefully this is why. I also noticed a fault in the underpinner arm support levels which has been put right. Last few frames have been much better. Always something to challenge you!
Thanks again
Sarah