double sided tape or adhesive

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
janelewis

double sided tape or adhesive

Post by janelewis »

I am float mounting my own largish watercolours (55x75cm) by using foam board as a 'float' and mount board as a backing. Using archival double sided tape (which is what I have to hand) is not always proving strong enough so the foam board is coming away from the mount board (not helped the weight of the w/c paper). Can anyone suggest a strong adhesive I can use to secure the mount board to the foam board? I assume it doesn't need to be of archival quality as it is not touching the w/c? Thank you!
jane lewis
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

Re: double sided tape or adhesive

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

janelewis wrote: ...Using archival double sided tape (which is what I have to hand) is not always proving strong enough so the foam board is coming away from the mount board (not helped the weight of the w/c paper)....
Hi Lewis,

"Archival Double Sided tape" is a bit of an oxymoron. Anything that is self-adhesive / self stick is not archival by industry standards definitions.
janelewis wrote: ... Can anyone suggest a strong adhesive I can use to secure the mount board to the foam board? I assume it doesn't need to be of archival quality as it is not touching the w/c? ....
Indeed I would agree, so that dry-mounting the foam board to the mount board or using a white PVA or a permanent self-adhesive foam core should all work. Actually, I would dry-mount the mount board to a 3mm foam board first, and then mount the "floating" 3mm foam board on top of this rigid background (very solid). To be truly archival/preservation for this the watercolour, I would also have mounted a layer of 4ply rag board on top of the 3mm floating foam board.* (So that is four layers below the watercolour.)

* FATG and PPFA Guidelines / Standards

You didn't mention how you mounted the watercolour to the floating element, but blind hinges passed through the substrate would probably work best.

Regards,

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog