Streaking / wearing through a top coat?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
RichTee
Organisation: none
Interests: Framing & Photography

Streaking / wearing through a top coat?

Post by RichTee »

Hi - been making my own frames for a few months with reasonable results. I'd ideally like to be able to replicate the finishing effect of a frame my partner bought while she was in Florence. I'm able to artificially wear my dutch metal guiding okay (practice allowing) but this looks something very with a very specific technique.

Any and all advice appreciated.

prospero

Re: Streaking / wearing through a top coat?

Post by prospero »

Paint it red. Paint it black. Let dry and have a go at it with a sanding pad or steel wool. :D

A bit of wax on the steel wool will help it cut, but be careful not to rub too hard in one place and go though to the wood.

* Red Oxide acrylic under Mars Black will give a good result.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
RichTee

Post by RichTee »

Thanks prospero! Only have F&B Picture Gallery Red and Pitch Black but will give that a try today as a starter.
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

Prospero has basically covered it... I use the Plaka casein paint for this effect, red/brown on first then a slightly thinner black on top (this can be varied for different effects), then rub back a bit with an abrasive pad or if the black is thinned a little more then just a hard scrub over with a cloth would get some of the red showing through. Then a sealer and/or wax on top.

With an emulsion like F&B you may not get quite the finish you are hoping for, you may find if you try to rub through the black that it distresses unevenly.

This example is my method described above, (sized wood, gesso, red brown plaka, black plaka, shellac, then wax)
Attachments
IMG_2557.JPG
IMG_2557.JPG (524.89 KiB) Viewed 3105 times
RichTee

Post by RichTee »

Hi FM Richard - thats a lovely looking frame there. Thanks for the tip on the Plaka casein and technique. I could tell the F&B while great for my other frames just wasn't going to come up like these pictured here. I have my order in for the colours you mention, so fingers crossed for time next weeknd.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

When distressing the top coat must be thin - so it's easier to get through it - and the bottom coat must be thick so it's harder to go through to the wood. Try some vandyke on the wood before painting and then if you do reach the wood it will be brown not white.