framing without mount

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
red
Organisation: none
Interests: woodwork

framing without mount

Post by red »

how do i attach the artwork without using a mount? i want the artwork right to the edge
i thought of putting it under spacers but would that create ripples? i don't want the artwork
to touch the glass, any advice most welcome
prospero

Re: framing without mount

Post by prospero »

If it's paper and you have it right to the edge, it will likely go wavy. Spacers or no spacers. :?

There are ways around it. One is to drymount it to a board. This may or may not be acceptable according
to the item. Basically, if you can't replace it don't stick it down.

The other way is to extend the rebate of the frame using slip or a skinny mount. The idea is to leave a gap between
the edge of the paper and the inside of the rebate - about min 10mm preferably. Apply a thin strip of linen tape - about
5mm to the under side of the mount, all the way around the outside. The paper is then hinged to the undermount with 'T'
hingesso that there is about 7mm margin all round. The paper will go 3mm under the mount/slip. There will be a 2mm gap
between the edge of the paper and the linen tape. The mount is thus 'jacked up' a tiny amount, but enough to allow movement
in the paper due to possible expansion. You may need to adjust the spacings according to the size of the paper and on really
big pieces some extra hinges may be called for.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
prospero

Post by prospero »

Something like this....

The 'optional' strip of tape on top of the slip can be used to space the glass away from the slip
if it is painted as this can cause odd visual effects.

** There should be an additional back board which is not shown.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
red
Organisation: none
Interests: woodwork

Post by red »

that's great.thanks for the diagram most helpful