Framing a spider's web

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Framing a spider's web

Post by Rainbow »

Ok, it's not literally a spider's web, but it's as delicate and as fragile as one. It's an item made of tissue paper, and it might be called a tracery or filigree, I'm not sure, but if you imagine framing a spider's web made of very fine tissue paper, you'll get the idea. It's quite small - about A5 size. I haven't yet agreed to do it - I thought I'd better look into it first. Advice from experts would be very welcome!
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

Re: Framing a spider's web

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

A picture sounds like it might clear up the exact identity of this artwork you are describing, but this sounds suspiciously like "Schneerschnitten" or those Chinese paper cutouts.

I can think of three methods that these have been treated....

1) Spray adhesive against a background mountboard

2) tiny pinheads of PVA adhesive in 2-5 locations to hold in place against a background mountboard

3) Sandwiched between two layers of Mylar as an encapsulation process....totally reversible.

Design wise, there are many things you can do with matting and layouts to enhance these ultra delicate pieces of paper art. However keep in mind, that they are mostly sold for a few pennies each and are really decorative. Replaceable... Maybe? Valuable... Not really.

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

John wrote
"1) Spray adhesive against a background mountboard

2) tiny pinheads of PVA adhesive in 2-5 locations to hold in place against a background mountboard

3) Sandwiched between two layers of Mylar as an encapsulation process....totally reversible. "

I would normally use option 2, you can use spacers to keep the glass off the work
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Timh
Organisation: kingswood frames and mirors
Interests: framing and framing history manufacture of mouldings and decorated frames

Post by Timh »

option 2 for sure but I would recommend using cellulose glue
I think you can get it from conservation by design
it's a water based adhesive, acid free and reversible

comes in granules and you mix with water- a bit like wallpaper paste
also onto a good quality mount board
prospero

Post by prospero »

One way I have heard of (but never used) is to get some 'grippy' fabric. Velour or something of that ilk.
Fix this to a board, wrapping over the edges and put some thing padding between fabric and board. So
you end up with a padded panel. Use acrylic gazing. Lay the piece on the fabric and put the acrylic on
top - in direct contact. In theory it should stay put. The plastic glazing should not have any adverse
effects on the cutout. If you put card 'shim' behind the board in the middle - about the same side as the
piece and the put a backboard on, this will provide a little bit of push to keep the thing flat.

Worth a thought. :roll:

** Suede mountboard might work but you wouldn't be able to pad it, but you could use a bit of padding
in place of the shim.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Timh wrote:cellulose glue is reversible
Yes. But probably effectively not on tissue paper. It doesn't sound as though this thing actually has any real value, so I doubt reversibility should be a worry.
Timh
Organisation: kingswood frames and mirors
Interests: framing and framing history manufacture of mouldings and decorated frames

Post by Timh »

commercial value not really worth much but value would be down to the person who brings it in for framing and what it means to them and we've done a few of these before
a conservation framers approach should-IMHO- be to be able to reverse the process should it be required so we use a very tiny small dot of adhesive in only a very few areas

quite a fiddle and also we had to release one as the customer changed their mind- as they do- after we framed it
it did separate but was quite tricky as it had to be wet slightly and allowed to re dry again before the next part
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Timh wrote:but was quite tricky
I bet!
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Many thanks for all the replies. Some interesting options!

Yes, it's one of those Chinese souvenirs - no intrinsic value but of great sentimental value to the customer. She's got a drawer full of souvenirs from around the world which she's decided to get framed, and she left me 5 the other day (four of which I will probably have to ask for expert advice about!)

I've looked on the Conservation by Design web site and can see starch glue and Evacon, but I'm not sure if they are cellulose or not. On the PEL web site, they have this cellulose glue which looks suitable... http://www.preservationequipment.com/Ca ... -P793-1400

I quite like the idea of laying it on a grippy fabric.

I think I'll give the customer both these options.

Great advice, everybody, thank you :)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

This might be something to just sandwich between two pieces of glass with mountboard and backing board behind the rear most piece of glass.

Another option to also consider is to sandwich it between one piece of glass and suede mountboard. The suede will be a bit more friction, just in case!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Thanks Mark. I've been looking into grippy/suede mountboard and I can see that Arqadia do a Suedette but only in quite dark colours. The tissue paper is pink and it would really need a white or cream as darker colours would probably show through. The Shadow might be acceptable. Does anyone know if any of the other manufacturers do a white/cream suede mountboard?
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Post by kuduframes »

Wessex do 'Crescent Conservation Suedes' I don't have the colour chart to hand but I'm quite sure they have a few lighter shades in their range and you can buy single sheets.
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

That's great, thanks kuduframes, I'll give them a call.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Rainbow, it looks like you maybe going down the none adhesive route but FYI I think this is the adhesive Timh was talking about. Some will say that pure wheat starch is better but the methyl cellulose doesn't require cooking!
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Thanks David, that's really helpful. I've asked Wessex if they can let me have some samples of the suede mountboard and then I'll give my customer the choice of either gluing or suede/acrylic.