Framing a batik

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Framing a batik

Post by Rainbow »

My globetrotting customer (the one with the Chinese tissue) has also asked me to frame a small batik from Malaysia (man's handkerchief size). The fabric feels like cotton. Again there's no intrinsic value to the item, but obviously to the customer it's irreplaceable and of sentimental value.

My first question is how to get the creases out, which are very sharp. If it was my own, I might try putting a damp cloth over the back and ironing it through the cloth, but I'm reluctant to do this with a customer's batik without first trying to find out if that's OK or if there's a better way. I don't want the dye to run if it gets damp!

Second question... I assume it should be laced, but I'm not going to be learning how to do this until later in the year. I wondered if there was another acceptable way of framing it in the meantime?

Thanks for any advice.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Framing a batik

Post by David McCormack »

Rather than a damp cloth I would try ironing with a dry cloth. Thinking about it, don't batiks use wax in the dyeing process? If there is any wax left in the fabric this is going to melt with heat :shock:

As for mounting without lacing you could try the tight fit method (called the Newberry method I think) which is basically an aperture cut in foamboard, the fabric placed over the cut-out and the foamboard window placed back over the fabric and cut-out to trap the fabric. If the fabric is too thick just trim the cut-out a bit. Finish off with a window mount a few mm smaller to cover the edges. Of course this only works if you have excess fabric but it's the same for lacing. Sometimes you need to sew extensions on the sides when there isn't enough excess fabric.

If the whole batik needs to be seen without the edges being hidden then lace a base fabric onto backing board and tack the batik in place with embroidery thread. This is a good way of trying out lacing for the first time as you're not actually lacing the artwork and lacing isn't that difficult :D
Tight-fit.pdf
(306.44 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
prospero

Post by prospero »

I wouldn't swear to it, but batiks as made by drawing on the fabric with wax, dyeing it and the boiling the thing to
remove all the wax. Thus leaving a design. So in theory heat an moisture should not hurt it. The fabric is often used for
clothing, scarfs and such so it's got to be fairly durable.

I would favour the Newberry method over lacing, as long as there is enough margin. If not, temporary pinning to foamboard
to get it flat and (reasonably) taught and stitch it around the edge. Then remove the pins.
These things are often on very flimsy fabric so lacing can tear out if you have to go near to the edges.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

The Newberry method sounds perfect, thanks both. I think I'd better discuss the ironing with the customer.