Underpinner Advice

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Popple North
Organisation: PM Framing
Interests: Photography, Cycling.

Underpinner Advice

Post by Popple North »

Hi, I am a newbie to all this and just joined the forum. Hoping you can give me some advice. I am lucky to have some equipment that was lightly used several years ago but I am struggling with the underpinner. It is a discontinued Taurus 2KF foot operated machine. The wedges are discontinued but I have a supply of 7 and 10s to get me going at the moment. I am finding it hard to get consistently good joins, particularly on the outside edge of the mitre with the join sometimes opening up towards the back of the frame. I'm very conscious of the bad workman and blaming tools thing. Any thoughts about how much this might be my inexperience and how much could be the machine?

I'm also conscious that at some point I will run out of nails anyway and they are discontinued. If I have to take the leap of spending to replace this machine at some point, any advice on an equivalent or next level up?

Thanks for looking at this,

Paul
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Underpinner Advice

Post by David McCormack »

Hi Paul, open mitres can be caused by your underpinner and/or your Morso. You say you have sent your blades off to be sharpened, when they come back you should make sure the Morso is cutting correctly. Search the forum for left hand fence adjustment. Best not to make adjustments to your underpinner until you know your Morso is cutting spot on.

https://www.theframersforum.com/search. ... left+fence
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
prospero

Post by prospero »

Hi Paul. :D

Gapping on the back edge is usually a case of pin position. Try inserting the wedge a bit further away
from the back. Different woods will be more or less prone to this. On very narrow mouldings it's often
nearly impossible to avoid.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Popple North

Post by Popple North »

Brilliant. Thanks both for replying on this.

I will check the Morso as soon as my blades are back in about a week. Once I have that sorted I will have some more practice runs with the pins further away from the back. Much appreciated and I will let you know how I get on. Paul
Popple North

Post by Popple North »

Hi Both,
I refitted the sharpened Morso blades this afternoon and the mitres seem to be immediately much better. I'm also relieved as I wasn't sure how I would get on with resetting the fences but they seem to be fine on the first few frames I have made. I also took your advice with the underpinner on putting the outer nail further away from the edge. So far much much better.

Thanks for taking the time to help. Much appreciated.
Paul