Stainless steel veneer pins

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
S.Mole
Organisation: Mole Weaving
Interests: Photography, Natural History, Collections volunteer with National trust

Stainless steel veneer pins

Post by S.Mole »

I am planning to extend the rebate of a moulding by attaching square hardwood dowel to the base. I will glue and also pin for extra strength.

Ideally, I would like to use stainless steel pins but cannot find a supplier (I can find stainless panel pins but they are too large in diameter).

Any suggestions for retail suppliers gratefully received!
prospero

Re: Stainless steel veneer pins

Post by prospero »

Why stainless? I do this all the time and usually use woodscrews. On more delicate sections
ordinary steel pins are fine. Remember, it's the glue that is the main strength. The pins only
act as clamps while it sets. If they rusted away to nothing (which is unlikely) the frame isn't
going the fall apart.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
S.Mole
Organisation: Mole Weaving
Interests: Photography, Natural History, Collections volunteer with National trust

Post by S.Mole »

Thanks Prospero. I have 2.9mm stainless woodscrews - just wanted to avoid drilling pilot holes for this job. Ref your Q - I always use stainless fixings as it eliminates any possible corrosion-related contamination issues in the long term.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

You can buy stainless steel pins from a good yacht chandlers, but they won't be cheap. Unfortunately there are two main formulations of stainless steel one is completely rust proof and relatively non magnetic and the other a little less rust proof, but is hard enough to make stainless steel pins from.

You might consider copper, or brass panel pins which are usually available from a good hardware and iron ironmongery shop. As it happens, I use a pneumatic headless pinner which fires 23 gauge headless stainless pins and this might also be a possible option for you.

The hardened pins used for picture hooks are available with a black oiled finish which is considered as having a good level of corrosion resistance. So I've given you all the suggestions that I can think of at this time.

Finally, like Prosperro, I am also wondering why it is necessary to use stainless steel pins at all, unless there is any reason that you have not so far disclosed.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

S.Mole wrote
"Thanks Prospero. I have 2.9mm stainless woodscrews - just wanted to avoid drilling pilot holes for this job. Ref your Q - I always use stainless fixings as it eliminates any possible corrosion-related contamination issues in the long term."

You will most probably get more contamination issues with the wood than the pins, if you are paining/ sealing the wood to stop these issues, then you will probably stop the issue with the pins as well
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/