Keencut hooking

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
cebrooker
Organisation: Blunty's Mill B&B
Interests: Sport, signature collection, looking to start framing.

Keencut hooking

Post by cebrooker »

Hello all,

I use (almost exclusively) Aqadia 1400 board on my Keencut Ultimat and have the blade set to just be penetrating the slipmat but am still experiencing some pretty nasty hooking as the blade enters the board. Could it be the wrong type of blades? I am using single edged as was recommended.

Something is wrong and I am 99% sure it is pilot error!

Thanks in advance,

Charles
Chris_h
Organisation: www.TheUKLandscape.com
Interests: Photography, Football, F1, printing & framing www.Photographyprinting.co.uk

Re: Keencut hooking

Post by Chris_h »

Normally it's the blade is to high, you could have movement in the bearings, or your mountcutter is not level. When I first got mine I used to have the end of the mountcutter hanging over the workbench and this caused my hooking. As soon as I fixed the workbench issue and got it level, all my hooking issues went away.
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

I find it's generally caused by either the blade being set to cut too deep or the blade is blunt and needing changed.

It can also happen if you're not moving the slipmat after each cut and the blade it getting caught in the same groove each time.

Or it could be too much lateral movement in the cutting head, tightening up the bolts which hold it to the rail should sort that.

andrew
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

cebrooker
Organisation: Blunty's Mill B&B
Interests: Sport, signature collection, looking to start framing.

Post by cebrooker »

Thanks folks, I have cranked the blade right down and will tighten up the bolts.