Consistent hanging height with cord.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
MikeSwannick
Organisation: Game of Frames
Interests: All things zombie. I also do data recovery.

Consistent hanging height with cord.

Post by MikeSwannick »

Hi all

Can anyone recommend a technique or method that will allow for neat looking knots and consistency in hanging height which also allows for variations in the angle of the cord as set out in the cord angle/downward force diagram on the wiki here?

Ideally I would like to be able to hang a number of frames together with the same dimensions on a row of independent horizontal wall fixings and have them all as level as possible so that their hanging position is interchangeable if required.

I know that there are other types of fixings that will allow this with greater ease but if it's possible by other means that are less costly I'd like to give that a go first.

Cheers

Mike
prospero

Re: Consistent hanging height with cord.

Post by prospero »

It's nigh-on impossible to tie wire/cord on a number of frames so that they all hang precisely level.

What you could try is making a hanging jig. Get a bit of thick board that will serve as a'wall'. Put a wall hook in it or two if applicable.
Hang the picture on these hooks and mark on the board where the top comes to. Measure between the hook(s) and the mark.
If you stretch a bit of string (tight as poss and level) along the wall as measure down to the difference on the board, you should be able to
hang a row of pictures level along the tops.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
baughen
Organisation: Cliff Baughen
Interests: Photography, Picture framing

Post by baughen »

Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Like the idea of these - http://beehivepicturehangers.com/

Might start stocking them
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

MikeSwannick wrote:...so that their hanging position is interchangeable if required.
...but if it's possible by other means that are less costly I'd like to give that a go first.
As Prospero says, getting the cord/wire on several frames to be the exact same length is nigh on impossible... so just do away with the cord!

Fix your usual D-rings a bit higher than normal (say a quarter down from the top if you normally do a third) but set them facing vertically just like a strap hanger. You will need two wall hooks per frame. It is not difficult to precisely fix each D-ring in the same position on all the frames but care is needed to fix all the wall hooks level and the correct distance apart.

If successful, then each frame in the row can be interchanged with any other and remain at the same height.

Also, with reference to that wiki hanging diagram, when the cord is set at an angle of 60 degrees the downward force on each D-ring is 6lbs for a 10lb frame (i.e. 12lbs in total) but with the D-rings directly hanging on the wall hooks the force on each D-ring is just half the weight of the frame i.e. 5lbs!

For larger heavier frames I would buy in some strap hangers.

And those beehive hangers do look interesting... allowing for errors in wall hook position.
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
MikeSwannick
Organisation: Game of Frames
Interests: All things zombie. I also do data recovery.

Post by MikeSwannick »

Thanks for the replies. I did suspect that I might be chasing rainbows with this one but you never know.

thanks prospero - there is always room for another homemade jig :D

I like the vertical D rings idea David McC - thanks for that one.

I like the beehive products too Steve N.

If someone made the cord equivalent of the wire and crimping ferrules system, that would definitely help.

Mike.
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

baughen wrote:Would one of these https://www.lionpic.co.uk/p/11586/rekta ... -Placer--1 help?
Thanks for the suggestion, baughen, I've just ordered one for a relative who's moving house and has dozens of pictures to re-hang :)