Mountboard Quantities?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Mountboard Quantities?

Post by Justintime »

Hi All,
Just wondering if someone has a quick answer to help me out!
I have 14 different sized mounts to do for an artist.
Is there a quick way that i am missing, to calculate how much mountboard I need to order??
Thanks
Justin
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Jamesnkr

Re: Mountboard Quantities?

Post by Jamesnkr »

Plan it out on a piece of paper, or I sometimes use Excel. No, there's no quick solution I know of.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Not really, but generally I start with the biggest mount first and decide whether to cut the largest dimension first, or the smallest, depending on whether the left over off-cut would be large enough for one of the smaller mounts. This is not a necessarily a fool proof method, but it's better than nothing.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

It's not wanting to vastly over order, or have to wait a week for another delivery that's bothering me.
Am I crazy to think I can add all the measurements together and see how many sheets fit into it, and round it up to a pack??
Justin George GCF(APF)
prospero

Post by prospero »

I find there are mounts that you need a full sheet for, ones that you can get two from a sheet and ones that you can
get four from a sheet. For fourteen middling sizes You would probably need 7 sheets. I would order 10. One extra for
cock-up insurance and two for stock. If I didn't use them within a short while they would get absorbed as undermounts.

Just get plenty. It's cheaper than spending time on maths puzzles. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Forget the maths !

Just buy a pack of MUNKEN DUO MOUNT BOARD
Being two sided, It gives you a choice of 2 most popular colors
You can use it for the front mount(s), artwork support, and even the backing board on smaller pictures.
https://www.lionpic.co.uk/r/26052/Munke ... Mountboard

The only decision then is which caliper to choose.
1.4mm, 1.7mm, or 2.00 mm
Like many framers on the continent MUNKEN will become your default board.
( FINLAND – We use MUNKEN as our option one. Nystrom Group)
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Justintime wrote:Am I crazy to think I can add all the measurements together and see how many sheets fit into it, and round it up to a pack??
Yes that would be crazy! :head: You would then need to add on 50% for wastage. At which point you might as well assume that you're going to get two per sheet and just order a box of 10. I do spend quite a bit of time planning cutting more expensive glass and mountboard. And indeed moulding - particularly if I've veneered the moulding first. Under such circumstances it's far cheaper to plan it out than just to hack away indiscriminately. My waste bin is often full of bits of moulding that are only an inch or two long.

Some tips:

Are there any smaller mounts that can be cut out of the fallouts from the biggest ones?

If you have a piece of mountboard that is 5x5, how many mounts that are 3x2 can you cut out of it? The answer is four. See if you can work out how.

But if you're not going to sit down and plan it out then I'd do exactly as NYAF says. Cut the largest mount first, in such a way that the remaining bit of mountboard is a useful shape. Think carefully about which cut to make first, and in which direction. Then look at the remaining bit and see what you can do with it to use up at least, say, 70% of it - whether the next largest, or two of the smallest. Then move onto the next piece of board, and repeat.
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

Munken is good stuff. Fairly cheap but good quality. Good CSR credentials too!

I'd say unless it's an awkward colour I would definitely over order, it'll get used at some point anyway.
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

A few years ago, I used to use some software like this one http://optimalprograms.com/cutting-optimization/
used to use it on big order for mount and glass and backing, we use to regularly supply a customer with 10's of 6 different size mount, glass and backing, and this software was great .
Since changing computers, have lost it, so have just downloaded it now :sweating:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Thanks everyone, it's great to know there is help and advice out there!!
I'll have a look at the Munken board. I've specced a nice thick Arqadia board for this job. Thicker mounts seem to be popular with artists in these parts...
Steve N, we're talking the same language!!! :clap: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Downloaded the demo and had the results within 5 minutes, looks like very minimal wastage and I've labelled each one, so I can work off the sheets as I go along.
There's nothing like a huge sense of relief at 5.00pm on a Friday!
Justin George GCF(APF)
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

Has anyone else who uses the Munken board notices specs?

The first lot I had were brilliant, but the box I've just got through seemed to have loads of black specs through it.

Still works out fairly cheap, so I've ordered another box anyway, hoping it was maybe a bad batch somewhere...
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter