Barrier boards with corro-cor/art bak?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
DaveJ
Organisation: FrameCraft
Interests: Picture Framing.

Barrier boards with corro-cor/art bak?

Post by DaveJ »

Hi all, I was wondering if you guys use barrier boards/inside mounts with Corri-corr/art bak? As it says 'they remain pH Neutral for at least 300 years' is a barrier board still needed, cheers all.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Barrier boards with corro-cor/art bak?

Post by David McCormack »

Hi DaveJ, for art on paper you really should be thinking 'under-mount' which is board of the the same quality as your window-mount. Whether your back-board is MDF, Art-Bak or whatever the basic frame package is the same... glass, window-mount, art, under-mount and back-board. And, unless you use methods that don't use tape such as platform mounts, then the art should be taped (hinged] to the under-mount and not the window-mount :D
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
David McCormack

Just been thinking, if you are talking about displaying prints in clear poly bags using the art-bak as a support then I don't think a barrier sheet would be needed especially if you use the conservation art-bak?
Oliver Hardy.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

We always use a barrier board, but then we don't use Corri-corr/art bak, but if we did, we would still use a barrier board,

Extra layer of protection

If using a narrow moulding, you can rivet d-ring into the backing, with no worry of the rivet marking the back of the artwork

Our rule of thumb is , Whatever the grade of window mount is, the barrier/backing mount is the same, so the art work is sandwich between the same grade of mounts, we only use Museum, Conservation and White core mounts

David McCormack wrote
"Just been thinking, if you are talking about displaying prints in clear poly bags using the art-bak as a support then I don't think a barrier sheet would be needed especially if you use the conservation art-bak?"

Well as art-bak has a curve, I would think it would make the bagged prints curve, so not look very good IMHO
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
David McCormack

I don't use art-bak for that very reason... the curve :head: Always been happy with Nubord :D
Oliver Hardy.
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Yes that is the method I use, window mount, art, under mount and backing board. I'm a recent Corri-Corr convert still using the under mount but wondered if others did. I read the ph neutral 300 years description on suppliers web site which posed the question. Thanks all.
David McCormack

But surely it's not about the properties of the back-board or its longevity... if you take away the under-mount then the artwork must be attached to the window-mount or directly to the back-board? :shock:

I suppose if anyone does follow the FATG five levels of framing this would be okay at budget and minimum levels :(
Oliver Hardy.
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

I hinge to the window mount but do a lot of very large posters. I don't think I could bare to not put an under mount in but just wondered.
prospero

Post by prospero »

You should think of the 'mount' as not just the bit with the hole in but a hinged undermount/window mount. In this form
the artwork inside can be safely handled before it goes in a frame. Also if it is ever removed from the frame and stored.

Of course there are instances where cost is an issue and the framed item(s) are purely decorative with no intrinsic value.
It that case feel free to make what ever economies necessary. :wink: I do find though that doing it 'proper' is often easier
then trying to cut corners. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I think that this depends upon the area of the market that your business is seeking to exploit and what the standards should be for that area in the market. If you are selling cheap and cheerful stuff as impulse buys for tourists and the like, then saving cost would be the name of the game and the temptation not to use an undermount because the backing board has a protective inner layer might well appeal to some who would not like to exclude the undermount if using a backing board that does not include the protective inner layer.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of corrugated backing boards, because they don't provide the same level of physical protection of impact damage against the rear of the frame. Any penetration of the backing board may also include penetration of the artwork at the same time. I would suggest that it is good to at least be aware of some of the less immediately obvious issues which this may impact upon:

1. There is no recognised specification for so called "conservation" backing boards. If in doubt, the addition of an undermount using a suitable specification of mountboard will address this issue.

2. In the event of damage to the backing board it is desireable to be able to replace the backing board without having to remount the artwork, if the artwork is mounted onto the backing board in place of the undermount, this adds more work to a straight forward repair.

I am not suggesting that you should not use any particular type of backing board in an appropriate situation, or when an artwork has no significant value, framing it in a manner that reduces cost when appropriate for the customers requirements and wishes, but I think that the customer should be properly informed before agreeing to the work.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Nobody has mentioned the main reason why you shouldn't attach the artwork to the backing board, even if it's 100 % cotton rag and 5 mm thick, it would still have a fundamental flaw.
David McCormack

IFGL wrote:...it would still have a fundamental flaw.
Why don't you just say what it is :roll:
Oliver Hardy.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I see plenty of cases where this is done and some of these are not particularly old either. You also see conservation versions of corrugated backing boards used for dry mounting surfaces for prints and posters.

I don't know where these come from, but customers keep bringing me prints to re-frame where the print and the mount have both been dry mounted onto the backing board. They usually think I will be able to cheaply re-mount and re-frame these to match other framed items already in their homes.

Unfortunately I don't discover this until I open the frame to do this and I've got a PITA of a job to sort it out.

BTW, another PITA that I've been encountering recently is customers wanting mounts for clip frames where the glass and backing boards are too thin and too weak to be sufficiently durable. Right now a lot of young people think that clip frames are the "in thing", but clip frames no longer seem to be made to last.

They are all copying each other and wanting black mounts. Unfortunately both customers and even myself are finding that the glass is far too easily broken. I personally don't like clip frames at all, but apparently they are now the "in fashion" thing to do!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

I hope the clip frame fashion doesn't last! Yes agreed about the handling.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Not your average framer wrote:Unfortunately I don't discover this until I open the frame to do this and I've got a PITA of a job to sort it out.
Do you not do this in front of the customer?
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

As I was about to say, IFGL "You're a little tease" :winky: :blush :tongueout: :thinking:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer

Jamesnkr wrote:Do you not do this in front of the customer?
Unfortunately we get a lot of customers who don't want to wait, because I am not the only stop on the journey, but customers are o.k. about things like this. I just phone them up and agree upon what needs doing and how much. I'm in a rural area and lots of customers are already driving some distance to come to me.

For some of my customers I'm the nearest framer, even though it a 20 to 30 mile trip to get to my shop, so it makes good sense to combine bringing their framing to me at the same time as an appointment at the hair dressers and do a bit of shopping at the same time. Things tend to work like that around here and there's a bit of a time warp here too, old fashioned stuff sells really well, but modern city slickers stuff is difficult to sell at all.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer