cutting mounts at an angle

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

cutting mounts at an angle

Post by kartoffelngeist »

Hi,

I'm trying to cut a mount to display an embroidered handkerchief which is embroidered diagonally (so looking for a diamond shaped mount).

I know keencut sell a kit for cutting at different angles, does anyone know of a way to do it without buying the kit?

I feel like I should be able to make something up out of backing board or something, but my mind doesn't seem to want to work.

If it comes to it I'll cut the mount then trim the sides down so it's the right way. Actually, may have just found my solution! I'll post anyway in case anyone has an easier way...

Thanks.
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: cutting mounts at an angle

Post by Steve N »

Just mark it out on the back of the mount in pencil, then cut it by eye, or you could cut it out of a bigger sheet, then tri the corners off after you have cut it, it'not rocket science :sweating:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
prospero

Post by prospero »

When I started out I couldn't fathom out the production stops so I cut all mounts by marking the back.
The tricky bit is working out how to plunge the blade and lift it at just the right place so as to avoid
under/over cuts. With a bit of practice you get the hang of it. I did eventually figure out the stops but
I can still do it by eyeball which comes in handy now and then.

Years ago I picked up a set of multi-angle guides for my C&H cutter. Never used them. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

There's something else which you have not mentioned. I hope that you will stretch and lace the handkerchief before you attempt to determine the correct angles and dimensions for cutting the mount aperture. I guessing that you will already know this, but just in case..........
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

kartoffelngeist wrote: ...I'm trying to cut a mount to display an embroidered handkerchief which is embroidered diagonally (so looking for a diamond shaped mount).

I know keencut sell a kit for cutting at different angles, does anyone know of a way to do it without buying the kit? I feel like I should be able to make something up out of backing board or something, but my mind doesn't seem to want to work.
Some of the accessories for the professional table top cutters like Keencut, Fletcher, Valiani have gone by the wayside. You may find it difficult in obtaining Angle Guides from framing suppliers.

However with a little care, a sharp X-Acto knife (scalpel) and straight edge, you can fashion your own set of Angle Guides out of 8-ply mountboard. Make long strips about 6x12 inches and cut the desired angles into one long side. Typically a 45 degree and a 30-60 degree Guide are perhaps the most useful. Make the straight cuts as straight and accurate as possible.

These "Guides" can be laid against the existing Mat Guide on your current manual machine and Taped to hold them in position. Use the Home-Made Angle Guide to pencil and to cut your openings - BOTH. The advantage of using a Guide is that you can more accurately cut a double mount when desired.

With respect to your "Diamond Shaped Mount" that you discussed, keep in mind that the overcuts (on that back side) will be less than normal on an obtuse corner (> 90 Degrees), while the overcuts on an acute corner (< 90 Degrees) will much greater than normal.

Regards,

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog