Underpinner advice needed

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Dobbo
Organisation: MTD Concepts
Interests: Framing, art collecting

Underpinner advice needed

Post by Dobbo »

Hi All,

I am just starting out as a picture framer and am in the process of setting up my workshop. I already have a Morso and am pretty sure I will be getting a Keencut Ultimat Futura (if you have one for sale let me know).

My main confusion is around which underpinner to get. I have looked at both foot operated and pneumatic, obviously there is a big price difference, but if this is going to be reflected in the quality of joins I can probably stretch to a pneumatic. I just wondered if anyone had experience with the following underpinners and could give some feedback, as far as foot operated goes I like the look of the Alfamacchine U200 (AM2-200) and the Charnwood (Framers Corner) M4, as they are quite similar in price. I like the fact the Charnwood has the horizontal clamp to hold the join in place, can anyone who has used one tell me if this works well and whether this is useful to have?

Or should I just bite the bullet and go pneumatic with the Cassese CS20 or similar. Ideally I would like to start with foot operated but if I am likely to outgrow this and get better results from a pneumatic I may consider breaking the budget.

If anyone is thinking of selling any of this kit please let me know.

Thanks
Ruislip FrameWorks
Organisation: Ruislip FrameWorks
Interests: Bespoke framers and art gallery

Re: Underpinner advice needed

Post by Ruislip FrameWorks »

Cassesse pneumatic, without question. Our CS089 is still functioning flawlessly after 16 years, with just the odd part replacement easily obtainable through D & J Simons
prospero

Post by prospero »

FWIW I've always used a bog-standard manual pinner (Euro).
Cost about 180 new.

Still functioning (mostly) flawlessly after 35 years. :lol:

Only had one main spring and a few odd little machine screws.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Post by kuduframes »

Hi Dobbo
I used an Alfa A200M (U200) for 5 years before upgrading to an Alfa Minigraf £ pneumatic.
The A200M is available, its a good basic machine for starting on.
If you are interested please feel free to PM or call me, details on my website
Colin
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Find a second-hand pneumatic underpinner. When pressure as slight as a feather's touch will stack two or three 15mm pins into a lump of hard pine, why would you want to use a manual pinner? Or indeed (not stacked) into an ash or oak frame. I don't make a large number of frames. I would not swap to a manual underpinner.

Just my ha'penny worth. Prospero probably makes more frames in a year than I ever will in my lifetime.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I've got big boots. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About