Lacing textiles tips wanted please

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Fellows Framing
Organisation: Fellows Framing
Interests: Framing, Riding

Lacing textiles tips wanted please

Post by Fellows Framing »

My heart sinks when I have to lace textiles why? because you can guarantee the thread always gets knotted after a few passes which is so frustrating!

So this is how I lace textile onto board:
I have the thread (small reels that you get from sewing shops) with the reel in a tub on the floor near the working table. I start in the nearest corner of the piece putting the needle and thread through down and out up to opposite corner needle and thread up and out, down again inserting needle 1-2 cms from start depending on textile size and thickness of textile. I repeat untill the thread knots which it does after a fews times up and down, I then cut the knot out, rejoin the ends and carry on. I think its knotting because of the twist it has on the reel.

Any suggestions on how to avoid or reduce the knotting are welcome. It may be the thread I use if so can you recommend a suitable one? It may be how I am doing it in which case what should I not be doing!

Thanks all in advance.
Sarah
prospero

Re: Lacing textiles tips wanted please

Post by prospero »

I feel your pain. :|

With me the thread always insists on getting under my feet. I've come to hate it so much that I only lace things
for favoured customers. Others get given piece of board and brief instructions. You would think people who are
capable of doing such detailed and exquisite embroidery would lace the damn things themselves. :P

The only 'help' I can give is try a different thread. Thick Linen thread doesn't knot but it may be too strong for fine
embroidery.
For the so-called tapestries which are worked in wool on brown open weave fabric I've always used no.0 picture cord.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Hi Sarah

The thread type and strength will depend on the fabric you are lacing so you should have a variety unless you are always lacing the same type of fabric. It is trial and error to prevent too many knots but this is how I do it:

The reel of thread is fairly close to me and always on my right hand side (I am right handed). I have a drawer system with all my needlework supplies in and I put the reel of thread in one of the drawers and almost totally close it to prevent it jumping around too much but still allowing the thread to run freely. I lace going from side to side rather than up and down as you do, but that probably doesn't make much difference to the knotting problem. After going side to side a few times I hold up the length of thread and allow the needle to drop down under its own weight, you will see that the thread tension then releases and the needle spins round (I hope I've explained that well enough). This gets rid of the tension and twist in the thread from it coming off the reel. Then carry on as before and repeat the needle spin thing every now and then. You will soon be able to gauge how often you need to do it.

Hope that helps.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

I agree with Tudor Rose, excellent advice including " After going side to side a few times I hold the length of thread and allow the needle to drop down under its own weight you will see that the thread tension then releases and the needle spins around"

And that is how my wife and I knew if we were having a girl or a boy!

Peter
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

:shock:
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Fellows Framing
Organisation: Fellows Framing
Interests: Framing, Riding

Post by Fellows Framing »

Thanks all.

From reading your comments I will try lacing with the reel as close as possible and let the thread untwist needle end. Fingers crossed.
And that is how my wife and I knew if we were having a girl or a boy!

Peter
not quite what I was expecting to read!!!

Sarah
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Hi Sarah

By way of an explanation.

Dangling a needle over the "mum to be tummy" and seeing the way it spins is supposed to indicate a baby boy or girl.

It's an old wife's tale.

Good luck with your lacing.

Peter