Pneumatic Framemaster Point Gun fails

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Pneumatic Framemaster Point Gun fails

Post by ChrisG »

The hammer that presumably pushes the point does not retract. I've tried cleaning and a bit of silicon spay but no joy. Any thoughts?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Pneumatic Framemaster Point Gun fails

Post by Not your average framer »

There are two pneumatic components inside pneumatic framing guns and staplers, one is the cyclinder and the other is the control valve. Cylinders can jam solid, but it could be a problem with the control valve. The control valve controls the supply of air for both the forward and return strokes, plus both exhuast valves as well.

If the exhuast valve is not opening, then the pressurised air will probably still be in the cylinder, preventing the cylinder from either completing the forward stroke, or starting the return stroke. There may be quite a bit of pressure still is the cylinder and I'm not sure how safe it may, or may not be to dismantle the pneumatic parts of the gun without speaking to the supplier and getting some advice before doing so.

I've got several pneumatic staple guns, which have got stuck once in a while and after removing any jammed staples, or pins, it has always been straight forward to get the gun to continue working. This sounds like there may be more to putting this right. I think that you should seek advice from your supplier.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

Hi Chris,

I'm sure that you will get some good solutions to your question here on this forum. Perhaps one of the Wessex, Lion or Framers Equipment technicians might jump in.

However it is important to recognize that Fletcher produced two different versions of a pneumatic FrameMaster... one was similar to the Black manual FrameMaster with added pneumatics in the back...

...while the second version is a Porter-Cable driver....modified to handle Framer's Points.

So which are you describing?

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Post by ChrisG »

Hi John,

It's the second picture ie Porter-Cable driver....modified to handle Framer's Points.