Fletcher-Terry 3100 vs Keencut Excalibur 5000

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Framie
Organisation: Anything Framed
Interests: Custom Framing, Hand Finishes and Multi Aperture Mounts.

Fletcher-Terry 3100 vs Keencut Excalibur 5000

Post by Framie »

I'm looking to upgrade from the hand cutter to the wall cutter, can anybody offer advice on the Fletcher-Terry 3100 vs Keencut Excalibur 5000?

I was almost sold on the 3100 but a sales rep said the Excalibur 5000 with the two separate heads is a great bit of kit.
Anything Framed
Mark Thornton
Organisation: Underpinner Spares
Interests: Red wine - lots and lots of it.

Re: Fletcher-Terry 3100 vs Keencut Excalibur 5000

Post by Mark Thornton »

Fletcher 3100 everytime, the sales rep is wrong.

Mark
https://www.underpinner-spares.co.uk Framing equipment spare parts - Easy online ordering
Framie

Post by Framie »

Thank you Mark :D
Anything Framed
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Where I was originally trained, they had A Keencut Excalibur and then changed it for a Fletcher Terry 3100. No comparison, the Fletcher Terry was so much better. The Fletcher needs to be screwed to the wall (it has no legs to stand on). It was delivered and installed by Peter Stanlick from Framers Equipment who already did all the companies maintainance.

It was very obvious at the time, that it was well worth getting it installed properly. It will be worth considering if you need to have it installed, or if you are happy to do it your self. The companies glass rack was next to the cutter and the glass was stored at pretty much the same height as where the glass stands on the machine. I can recommend storing your glass like this, it makes handling glass so much easier.

I don't have a Fletcher Terry, but a System 4000 by Keencut. If I had the money it probably would have been a Fletcher Terry, but in my case it was what I could get my hands on with very little available money. The System 4000 is an old model, but because it stands on the floor, my glass rack stands partly behind the System 4000 and the glass is about 2" above where the glass stands on the machine. I have to left my glass no more the 6" to 8" from the rack onto the glass cutter (Very easy, I think).
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Framie

Post by Framie »

Sounds like the Fletcher 3100 is the one to have, thank you.

I read about mounting it to 18mm ply and then screwing that ply to the wall, I think that's what I will be doing. I do have some helping hands.

Good tip on the glass storage, sound ideal. thank you again
Anything Framed
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

I have a Keencut Excalibur, never used FT31000. What is it about the FT3100 that makes it better than the Keencut? Just noticed that Lion have an offer on the FT.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

You never need to adjust the sliding bearings for wear, you never need to keep the slide ways for the nylon bearings lubricated with silicon lubricant, the glass cutting wheels last a really long time and it's beautifully engineered.

If I was starting from scratch again and money was no problem, i would buy the Fletcher Terry, but I would probably still buy a Keencut mountcutter although I might go for the C & H Bainbridge Vantage Pro, which is also beautifully engineered.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Mark Thornton
Organisation: Underpinner Spares
Interests: Red wine - lots and lots of it.

Post by Mark Thornton »

In answer to YPF's question:

From an engineers point of view the Fletcher 3100 delivers a much greater cut consistency / smoother cutting head movement / greater accuracy and is manufactured from higher grade materials than the Keencut.
Once a Fletcher is installed it requires no further adjustments for many years, the same cannot be said of the Excalibur.

Mark
https://www.underpinner-spares.co.uk Framing equipment spare parts - Easy online ordering
Framie

Post by Framie »

Ordered a Fletcher 3100 :D
Anything Framed
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

Thank you for your comments about the advantages of the FT over an Excalibur. If ever I'm in the market I know where I'll be going.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Not your average framer

My original career was as a design engineer, the 3100 is superbly engineered, and designed by the book. They're really made to last and there's quite a few people on this thread saying just that. It's all true!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

We have just bought a used 3100 was very straight forward to wall mount and cuts everything Ive tried on it superbly. Good tip about storing glass at cutter level.
Also considering it was dismantled from where I purchased it, transported in my van and reassembled and hung on wall it is very accurate and required no calibration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk