Tartan Frame!!

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
joh5nny
Organisation: Tutto Framing
Interests: Photography, walking, travel

Tartan Frame!!

Post by joh5nny »

I've got a customer who wants a set of cigarette cards framing with a tartan frame. I haven't even look for one as I'm pretty sure such a thing won't exist (please tell me if I'm mistaken!), so was assuming that the only way I might be able to do something of this ilk would be to wrap a moulding in tartan fabric. Has anybody done this sort of thing before - if so, what do you use to glue the fabric and any tips for cutting the moulding once covered. I'm assuming this is possible, but if I'm on a hiding to nothing, feel free to tell me! Thanks in advance.
prospero

Re: Tartan Frame!!

Post by prospero »

Don't people get great ideas? :?

Any particular tartan? :lol:

You could pick a plain moulding that is the right shape for wrapping. I'm thinking a domed shape. Fairly
simple with no reeds or grooves or fiddly bits. Best the make the frame first and the wrap it. There are
fabric glues that would be suitable. Good luck. :P

Another (easier) way is to use a paper-printed tartan. You need a moulding that is flat(ish) with raised reeds
on the outside and inside with a flat area down the middle. I've done this before using marbled paper.
Cut four rails oversize. Paint the outside and inside black. Measure the exact width of the centre panel.
slice the paper in strips of that width and glue then to the moulding with PVA. When dry, cut and join the
frame and give the whole thing a few coats of decorators' varnish. I have a couple of frames on my wall that I
did like this about 20 years ago and they are still in mint condition.

You would have to scale the pattern just right and use a reasonably wide moulding. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

Just go to B&Q and pick up a tin of tartan paint.

Problem solved...
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

joh5nny
Organisation: Tutto Framing
Interests: Photography, walking, travel

Post by joh5nny »

I checked with B & Q and they're out of stock at the moment, unsure when the next lot's coming in :lol:

Thanks for the ideas Prospero. The material option is probably a bit fiddly, but I like the idea of running a strip of tartan paper down the flat central section of a moulding. Thanks!