Maximum size for glass

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Maximum size for glass

Post by Rainbow »

I've been asked re-frame a picture which is 73 x 97cm. This is normally too big/heavy for me to deal with, but it's part of a group that I've been asked to re-frame so I'm going to give it a go.

I'm wondering if 2mm glass is OK up to this size, either plain or UV filtered? It's had acrylic before and already it was very heavy. They've chosen a pretty sturdy 1.5" moulding.

Or does anyone have experience of the UV Acrylic that Wessex sells? Is it as clear as glass? The TruVue Optium and TruLife are way too costly unfortunately.

Thanks for any advice.
prospero

Re: Maximum size for glass

Post by prospero »

That's just a tiddler. :lol:

I've used glass up nearly a full 4x3' sheet with no problems. As long as the frame is good and strong and there
are no chips in the glass edge or any lumps/bumps under the frame lip and the frame isn't twisted. :roll:

Acrylic is OK, but you would have to use a fairly thick bit (3mm or over) which would just about negate the
weight saving. Not to mention cost.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

prospero wrote:That's just a tiddler. :lol:
I thought it might be but at the risk of offending my sisters with a very un-PC excuse, I'm just a slip of a girl and a bit of a weakling :D

Reassuring to know I can safely use 2mm glass, thanks :)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I understand that FATG say that 2mm glass is O.K. for upto 1 metre square, but I'm not sure where this comes from. Perhaps someone in the know would like to confirm this. On larger bits of 2mm glass, I sometimes use 6mm MDF for backing board, to give the glass a bit more support.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

That's very useful to know about the 6mm MDF, thanks Mark.
Framie
Organisation: Anything Framed
Interests: Custom Framing, Hand Finishes and Multi Aperture Mounts.

Post by Framie »

I go much bigger as long as the frame is build to hold it, subframe and all that too.

Last week I did 1197x1016mm with 2mm Truvue Ultravue and another 1445x1166mm with 2.5mm Truvue museum.
Anything Framed
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

That's good to know, Framie, thanks.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

They wouldn't make 2mm glass 4ft x3ft if you can't use it, it really boils down to the frame you are using, no good using Arqadia's 40216700 https://www.arqadia.co.uk/productdetail ... =402167000 on something that size you are using
you need to have a good size frame to support the glass, doing one at the moment (it's on the bench as i type this) nealy the size you asked about bar a couple of cm using UV glass in Simons Fest/0031 perfectly safe and up to the job :rock:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Steve N wrote:They wouldn't make 2mm glass 4ft x3ft if you can't use it
That's a very good point! :D

This is the frame they've chosen: https://www.wessexpictures.com/D3714.html which looks pretty sturdy.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Steve N wrote:They wouldn't make 2mm glass 4ft x3ft if you can't use it,
I don't think that's true at all. A glass wholesaler will stock glass sheets for the purpose of cutting them into smaller sizes for using. The larger the initial sheets, the less the waste. When I started, before I discovered Wessex, I found a wholesaler in north London which supplied sheets of 2mm glass that were larger than my estate car. They wouldn't cut them smaller. That was no use...
prospero

Post by prospero »

I would add 3" 'L' steel mending plates on each corner.

They add a lot of security. There is a trick to using them. If you place one on a piece of wood, csk side
down and give them a goodly smite on the corner with a ball-ended hammer it will impart a slight twist.
When you screw them in the face side of the frame will be nipped together. Underpin and then fix the
plates before the glue sets.

I use 100s of them. :P I use the curved slots on the front of the Morso to place them over whilst I tap them.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/angle-plates- ... pack/13496
prospero

Post by prospero »

Jamesnkr wrote:
I don't think that's true at all. A glass wholesaler will stock glass sheets for the purpose of cutting them into smaller sizes for using. The larger the initial sheets, the less the waste. When I started, before I discovered Wessex, I found a wholesaler in north London which supplied sheets of 2mm glass that were larger than my estate car. They wouldn't cut them smaller. That was no use...
When I started I ordered 5 sheets of 2mm glass from a local glass co. They were 6x4'. :? So I thought I would cut them in half for convenience.
I found out two valuable things: 1] Don't buy cheap glass cutters. 2] Kitchen floors look dead flat but they aren't. :shock:

Ended up with lots of triangle shapes.

After that I gave them a list and got them to cut to size. 20 mile round trip.

Then one day I watched the movie The Omen. That was the last time I transported loose glass in my car. :sweating:
Steve N
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

bet if I said 2+2 = 4 there would be someone on here saying I was wrong , looks like my last post
Steve CEO GCF (020)

prospero

Post by prospero »

Well I would cheerfully use a 6x4' sheet in a frame. If the frame is beefy enough I would use bigger. :P
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Steve N You are not wrong re 2mm float. :clap:

For the frame size mentioned in Rainbow's OP, and much bigger frames, 2mm glass is suitable. The important thing is the strength of frame and the corners.

Like Prospero I stocked much larger sheets when I had my shop. I chucked them about like no tomorrow. The glass cutting table, in a separate shed, was 8' x8' covered in carpet underlay. I purchased 50 sheets at a time to get the keenest price from 'Norman and Underwood Eastern' they were bulk glass merchants based in Kings Lynn. The biggest problem for me was 'reaching' for the first cut. The upside of buying large sheets was price and minimum waste. Since setting up again in a smaller way of business I now buy these smaller half sheets from Wessex. To be truthful, I don't much like that size but needs must. :(

Please carry on contributing with you extremely useful posts. I for one appreciate your opinions. :D

Peter
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Steve N wrote:bet if I said 2+2 = 4 there would be someone on here saying I was wrong , looks like my last post
I didn't say that you were wrong; I was making a different point. I said that just because a manufacturer makes something in a wholesale quantity, it doesn't mean that it's fit for purpose to be used entire.

Just because whisky comes in 75cl bottles just like wine doesn't mean a bottle of whisky is intended to be drunk in a single sitting by a single person in the way you would drink a bottle of wine.
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

Not going to argue the point, but ready the first 7 words in your post. I've had enough........................
Steve CEO GCF (020)

Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Thanks very much for your point about the mending plates, prospero, and for the link.
Steve N wrote:looks like my last post
Steve N wrote: I've had enough........................
Noooooo, not another one :( :( :( I was only thinking the other day that the forum is quieter than when I first joined. Please don't go, Steve, you're one of the stalwarts :(
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

God Almighty! I apologise unreservedly for having offended you. For all that you're reading something into my post that I didn't write, that in no sense dilutes my unreserved apology for having offended you.

I am sorry you feel offended. I am sorry that I have offended you.

:heart: :party: :handshake: :poolparty: