Framing a scratch map

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Framegirl
Organisation: Bledlow Ridge
Interests: Framing

Framing a scratch map

Post by Framegirl »

Hi there

I wonder if anyone can help me with advice on mounting a scratch map please. It is on a plastic base rolled up in a tube. I clearly can't dry mount on a hot press and I am concerned about mounting on adhesive board as, putting pressure on the front surface may inadvertently scratch off some of the scratch off areas. However, without dry mounting I doubt that it will go flat or provide a firm enough surface for the client to scratch.

I would welcome any advice and experience please.

Thanks,

Framegirl
Jamesnkr

Re: Framing a scratch map

Post by Jamesnkr »

<grumpy mode>Tell them to buy some of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drawing-Colour ... awing+pins and stop wasting your time.</grumpy mode>
jimupnorth
Organisation: Up North
Interests: ...getting back into framing

Post by jimupnorth »

Framegirl wrote:Hi there

I wonder if anyone can help me with advice on mounting a scratch map please. It is on a plastic base rolled up in a tube. I clearly can't dry mount on a hot press and I am concerned about mounting on adhesive board as, putting pressure on the front surface may inadvertently scratch off some of the scratch off areas. However, without dry mounting I doubt that it will go flat or provide a firm enough surface for the client to scratch.

I would welcome any advice and experience please.

Thanks,

Framegirl
I have a couple at home, they were both dry mounted. It didn't affect either size - 1 is a3 one is a2.
Framegirl
Organisation: Bledlow Ridge
Interests: Framing

Post by Framegirl »

Thanks - are yours on plastic though?
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Post by Steve Goodall »

They work fine both hot or cold mounted - I've done them both ways.

Trust me - I've stuck a couple of things down in my time :wink:
It's not a secret - I work for Wessex Pictures & I'm here to help!!! you can email me at steveg@wessexpictures.com or call me on 07585 138566
prospero

Post by prospero »

I've never dry-mounted one, but if I did I would use film rather than tissue. Pre-mount the film first and then peel the paper
and place the map and give it a quick squeeze.

If you are a bit windy about the heat there is always strips of carpet tape. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

We have done loads,ok to bond down on self-adhesive board, we run ours through the rollers ok,
Our Method

Cut the self adhesive board around 5cm bigger than the map.

Lay the map on top on top of S/A board,in the center, weigh down if necessary

Run a blade/knife about 5mm from the edge of the map into the release paper of the S/A board, along the top, right edge and the bottom edge

Now move the map to the right about 10cm, peal back the release paper about 3cm, fold back, exposing the sticky surface

Carefully move the map back, so you can carefully press down the right hand edge of the map down onto the sticky surface, do it with as little of the sticky surface showing on the right, so the roller does not get stuck to it

Now you you should have the map attached to the S/A board, with the release paper folded back under the map.

Place on the rollers, start the rollers until the S/A board is in the rollers near the right hand edge of the map

Lift the left hand side of the map, and pull to the right, until it's over the top of the top roller

Pull back the release paper to the left, exposing the sticky surface of the board,

Carefully rotate the rollers, feeding in the board (moving from left to right), keeping a tension on the map, so it dose not flip back over the rollers and stick down too soon on the S/A board

Slowly do this until the whole board has been feed through the rollers, you should now have the map stuck down on the board, I normally now put the release paper back on and feed the board back through the rollers

Now just trim the board down to the required size, simple! :giggle:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Chris2103
Organisation: Chris Lordan Photography
Interests: Photography: social, landscape, product, wildlife. Hockey. Framing my pictures

Post by Chris2103 »

Jamesnkr wrote:<grumpy mode>Tell them to buy some of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drawing-Colour ... awing+pins and stop wasting your time.</grumpy mode>
:lol: :lol: :lol: