(Very) Large Mixed Media Collage on Paper

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
joh5nny
Organisation: Tutto Framing
Interests: Photography, walking, travel

(Very) Large Mixed Media Collage on Paper

Post by joh5nny »

I was recently handed a pile of cardboard tubes by a customer which I was advised all had canvases in for stretching.

Now I've opened the largest tube (not in front of the customer) I'm actually faced with a 1.6m x 1.5m mixed media collage on a heavy paper with deckled edges.

I think I've pretty much got carte blanche with the customer to propose how it's framed, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to begin given the size of it.

Has anyone else been faced with something of this size on this sort of material, and if so, how did you go about it? Just looking for a bit of (practical) inspiration...
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: (Very) Large Mixed Media Collage on Paper

Post by JFeig »

Is this "paper art" to show the deckled edges? If so, with a minimal 5cm border, sheet stock other than some acrylic will most likely not be available. I would make a strainer frame covered with nylon window screening stretched tight for support strength and then cover this with stretched fabric. Linen does come in oversized widths.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
prospero

Post by prospero »

I'm thinking it really needs to be floated. Before you think about the fine points of the frame design you need to
get the sucker into a state were it will go in frame. I would 'pedestal' mount it onto a board a bit smaller than the paper.
To build up a board the sort of size you could laminate sheets of 5mm foamcore - so the joins don't overlap with the ones
in the other layer. Then use wrap-round hinges to attach the art to this board. I wouldn't agonise about getting it flat, just
concentrate on fixing it securely. The board could then be stuck to a backing surface that would give a margin all around.
It would nicely float over this backing and any undulations would not be so noticeable. How to make this backer is another
conundrum. :? I'll have to have a think about that..... :roll:

Once you have it mounted on a board it's fairly simple to make a deep frame with spacers. :D

Make sure you charge enough. There is a lot of fannying about to do. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Agree on the floating. Not least because if you use a mount you will (1) have to have a mount made to that size and (2) your frame will be an extra 3" bigger all round for the mount.

One thing concerning me is how you are going to float it; it sounds quite heavy. Using thin Japan paper isn't going to do the trick.

A shame they're rolled up; that's not going to help matters! Heavy paper, with a collage; you might be best off getting a paper conservator to flatten them. They can work absolute miracles.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Hard to comment without seeing the beast, but I think I've got a fair impression of what it's like. :?
When I hear the term 'mixed media' I tend to get a sinking feeling. :cry:

As for hinges, you can maybe afford to be a bit generous with them. Use the heavier gauge paper and paste on two
layers if necessary. Good idea to do a test hinge first to check adhesion to the art.

The backing: How about mitreing some flat moulding upside-down to form the outside. If you use 3" wide flat Obeche and
paint it, that will allow you a 2" margin. Fill in the middle by dropping in 6mm ply - or better still two layers of 3mm, the joins
on each layer running at 90º to each other. This will form a very stable surface to fix the 'pedestal' to.

Just a thought.... :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

prospero wrote: When I here the term 'mixed media' I tend to get a sinking feeling. :cry:
The 'art' will probably eventually sink further even than your heart...
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

prospero wrote:When I here the term 'mixed media' I tend to get a sinking feeling.
Applause - applause!
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
The Common Framer
Organisation: The Horsell Framing Company
Interests: Photography, Boats

Post by The Common Framer »

The sound you hear in the distance are my footsteps as I run away! I am trying to learn to say no - however, I am currently trying to frame a "scroll" on canvas - 2M x 1.3m. Don't know why I said yes!!!!! :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: