Help with attaching picture in float frame

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Nagg2000
Organisation: Huins Frames
Interests: Art

Help with attaching picture in float frame

Post by Nagg2000 »

Good morning!

I have been asked to fix my friend's picture because the painting had become detached within its floating frame (I was not the original framer).

I took it apart & used more double-sided sticky tape to re-attach it but within a week it had detached again.

As you may be able to see from the photo, the paper has warped which makes it difficult to provide a good amount of surface area to use as a platform for sticking.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can re-attach the painting? Glue?

Thank you all
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 5467 times
prospero

Re: Help with attaching picture in float frame

Post by prospero »

Double stick tape is a no-no. :evil:

It should be hinged either with torn hinges and starch paste or possibly P-90. P-90 will hold well
if you burnish it down well. The paper on the painting looks quite heavy so burnishing from the back
should not hurt it unduly, but go steady.

Hinge it to a decent piece of mountboard and the glue the mountboard to the frame.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
technoframer
Organisation: Yorkshire
Interests: Picture Framing, Eating and Sleeping. Sometimes at the same time.

Post by technoframer »

Of course, using double sided tape will seriously upset the conservation police, but having done so you have used a tape that is not up to the job.

Double sided tapes are a fascinating subject if studied closely and available with many different carriers and strengths. You can get foam based tapes that once applied will not fail, these are used by the car industry to apply number plates, trims and the like.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

technoframer wrote:using double sided tape will seriously upset the conservation police
That's a term that I haven't noticed on the forum for a while, I think that at least some of the so called "conservation police" must have retired.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

There's conservation and conservation. Double sided tape will definitely cause nasty stains to appear on the front of the picture within maybe 20 years. Cream-core mountboard might be OK for a long time if the picture is not hung in the light!
prospero

Post by prospero »

Actually on closer inspection, it looks very much like the painting was hinged and not ds taped.
The hinges look as if they have failed.

Simple answer: Hinge it back again. :D
Nagg2000
Organisation: Huins Frames
Interests: Art

Post by Nagg2000 »

Thank you everyone.

The painting was originally attached with double sided tape - it wasn't hinged. That was why I Reid doing more of the same but obviously with tape that definitely wasn't up to the job!

There have been some great suggestions which I will try!
prospero

Post by prospero »

Had one a while back where a quite valuable print was floated on a board with DS tape. There was a tear at the bottom
which I could have repaired if I could have got the thing free. Also the board it was on was marked and dented. No way
could I have detached the thing. It was still stuck very firmly and that was the problem. Who ever did it never considered
that one day it would need to be removed. If it had been hinged it would have been simple.

One Word: Reversibility. :clap: