Memorial plaque (dead man's penny) mounting problems

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Cabinann
Organisation: The craft cabin
Interests: Art , all crafts walking knitting

Re: Memorial plaque (dead man's penny) mounting problems

Post by Cabinann »

Thanks everyone I will probably go for reverse cut this time , as you are right you want to see as much of the penny possible, only have a hand circle cutter so will get done with my alli up north . I am very interested in the mylar so am going to check it out, cheers to ya all :clap:
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

If you are talking about using the Fletcher, or the Logan hand held circle and oval mount cutters, I'm not sure that they will cut a circular cut out which would be small enough. So this may be something which needs checking out.

Also although I have a large roll of Mylar, there are times when I do my best to avoid to using Mylar of some items because Mylar can be a little too glossy and the natural appearance of the deadman's penny is quite dull and giving it such a glossy and reflective surface is not how the real thing would look.

I'm not saying that everyone would necessarily agree with me and maybe some may think that this does not matter, but perhaps you might understand my perspective and see where I am coming from.

BTW, just another final thought about the Mylar. I've never tried this, but Letraset used to do a really good matt aerosol varnish that looked very natural and photographers used to use this to kill the reflection on difficult items before taking a photograph. This aerosol varnish provided a very fine spray and did not look like it had been sprayed at all. I've not come across any Lettaset products for quite a long time so I don't even know if they are still around.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Cabinann
Organisation: The craft cabin
Interests: Art , all crafts walking knitting

Post by Cabinann »

Thanks Mark, I have one of the two hand held mount cutters ( did not look at name of ) , which I spent yesterday afternoon on cutting with, to get tight fit on penny so yes it does cut that small, all though a very unreliable method and frustrating, so today I need to go get new blades for the little devil. I am going to sink into foam then cut mount to tight fit around, will leave the mylar sheet for anot her rainy day , for now :shock: :shock: