Wide and Deep Oak Frame

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
joh5nny
Organisation: Tutto Framing
Interests: Photography, walking, travel

Wide and Deep Oak Frame

Post by joh5nny »

Been hunting for a wide oak frame (say 70-80mm) with a rebate of at least 30mm. Can anyone point me in the right direction - or indeed any direction at all
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Wide and Deep Oak Frame

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm not aware of any oak moulding of that size. I also would not like to try and cut that on a normal manually operated Morso. Have you thought about stacking two oak mouldings to produce a profile of a similar size, under normal circumstances this would involve having a stepped front face to the profile.

Even when stacking two oak mouldings together to get the outside size, you would probably need to add another profile inside to extend the depth of the existing rebate. There a far bit of work needed to put this all together, so it would be necessary to charge quite a bit to produce a frame with this sort of profile.

I suspect that this is not the kind of job that would appeal to every framer on this forum and there could be a significant level of wastage to consider when figuring out how much to charge for a job like this. Be careful how you price something like this, getting a decent profit out of a job like this won't be easy, negotiating a price downwards to try and help the customers budget might be the wrong thing to consider doing.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

Tim at Kingswood frames could probably machine and supply this, he's a member of the forum

http://www.kingswoodframes.co.uk/

or Mark at Piaf but minimum would be 50ft

01394 450022
Timh
Organisation: kingswood frames and mirors
Interests: framing and framing history manufacture of mouldings and decorated frames

Post by Timh »

Thanks for the mention Richard

Johnny, let me know what quantity you're after by PM
I have a saw capable of mitring this so could offer on a chop