Norman Ackroyd Artworks

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Bagel Framer

Norman Ackroyd Artworks

Post by Bagel Framer »

Hello,

Have had my most lucrative enquiry to date yesterday – a client has 60 off Norman Ackroyd Artworks (A4 in size) that he says are worth £300 - £400 each. Unfortunately he only wants 10 frames, the frames designed in such a way that he wants to remove the prints so he can swap them all round.

I have an idea in my head of how to do it – by cutting a normal mount package and putting archival corners on the “back mount”, so the artwork can be easily removed. Maybe turnbuttons on the back of the frame to enable the back to be removed, but turnbuttons go into the back of the moulding and the package (glass, mount, barrier card and backing) will be thinner than that rebate, so not sure how turnbuttons will work at present.

My main questions though is the mountboard – I use conservation as standard, but should I use museum board on this occasion or is that a bit overkill?

Would welcome your thoughts on the turnbutton idea and the mountboard please.

Thanks,

Sean
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Re: Norman Ackroyd Artworks

Post by kartoffelngeist »

Can't speak to the other bits, but regarding the mountboard...

I'd use whatever was the most expensive option the customer was willing to pay for. I definitely wouldn't do higher quality mountboard because I thought it was better. I would definitely try and upsell to the customer to get as much profit as possible from the job. If you can't sell the expensive stuff then you don't lose out by using your standard stuff for the same price.

What the customer wants/is willing to pay for would be the deciding factor for me.
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

Timh
Organisation: kingswood frames and mirors
Interests: framing and framing history manufacture of mouldings and decorated frames

Post by Timh »

I would be inclined to quote on various options explaining the benefits of each and the conservation levels involved
if the prints are as valuable as you say , it may be worth costing and offering UV glass as an option as well.

the bottom line is what is best for the protection of the artwork but also budgets do unfortunately come in to the equation
I do think it best to offer and cost on all scenarios and let the customer decide
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

They probably *cost* £400 each, which means they're probably *worth* at best £100 each if he were to try to sell them... the frames will *cost* more than the pictures are *worth* - but then the frames will be worthless once they're paid for.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Sooner than engineer some quick swap method of mounting the prints it would be better to bookmount all the
prints. Can you imagine the customer trying to fit the prints? Once in a book mount they are cocooned in their
own little world and no need to handle them. OK, the customer would have to buy 60 mounts, but if a crease or mark
on one would decrease the (alleged) value considerably. So he's got (or thinks he's got £16K worth. Damage them and
he's got maybe 3K worth. Maybe even unsaleable. £9k buys a lot of mounts. :P

This is the very purpose of bookmounting stuff. So you can store it unframed and still handle and examine it if safely. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I agree with prospero, book mount them all , using museum mount board for both the window mount and backing mount, as to the framing package being thinner than the rebate, so the backing is not level with the back of the frame, just build out the back with more mount board, I would fix the d-rings into the backing, the picture cord will then not get in the way when the customer takes the back off
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

50 bookmounted prints will create a fair-sized stack. Doubtless they will be in plastic envelopes, so it will be a slippery tower. Your client may prefer it if you use something thinner than mountboard for the backs; Wessex do a 425 micron barrier board and as these are only small pictures it won't be too floppy.

I don't understand the obsession with museumboard for cheap prints, but if you can upsell it, then go for it.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Wouldn't use thin barrier board. The unframed mounted prints would need a more robust backing.

Ideally they should be stored wrapped in acid-free tissue paper in a good strong box.
Bagel Framer

Post by Bagel Framer »

Thanks all thus far for the comments - I should have said at the outset that the prints are already in a posh book and in wallets, the client just wants to pick some out and frame them instead and keep changing the order.

Originally I thought of an MDF backing and the shortfall in rebate distance could be made up with small blocks of wood, that way the D-ring could screw into the block along with provision for the turn button too. Either that or a thick piece of foamboard behind the MDF - the D-ring carefully screwed through both?
prospero

Post by prospero »

Don't worry about equalising the height of the backboard with the frame. You can use spring clips. Easy to bend
to get the right amount of pressure.

https://www.lionpic.co.uk/p/9531/Spring ... lated--200
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

You may have a problem with only providing mounts for 10, and you are using archival corners, are all the images printed in the same place on the paper, if not you are going to have misalignment with the window mount, which is a good argument for mounting all the prints, then it just a case of changing the mounted prints, the customer can't damage any of the prints trying to get them I and out of the corners
As to screwing the d-rings into the backing with extra blocks of wood, a much easier and better looking method would be using rivets to hold the d-rings on the backing, such as the ones Lion sell https://www.lionpic.co.uk/p/10923/2-Par ... -500-pairs
we use them for any frame that the moulding is too thin to take a screw.
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

prospero wrote:Wouldn't use thin barrier board. The unframed mounted prints would need a more robust backing.
Depends on what you're planning on doing to them! The alternative appears to be the client handling the individual prints and being mounted on thin board may be more attractive from a storage perspective. In the context of a careful owner I wouldn't hesitate to use a thin barrier board. Whilst he may well have paid a lot for the entire collection, an individual print isn't worth very much.
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

FWIW I am finding more and more uses for zinc spring clips :D I was not aware of them until recently (thanks to FF :clap: ) All those years of fixing turn buttons/kidney plates and the like- packing out backs and other faffing about :head: spring clips are much less of a PITA

Along with book mounts they will meet your customers requirements perfectly. If it was me, and knowing what some of my customers are like, :roll: I would also be inclined to use a more robust board as the backing, nothing wrong with a little over engineering if it minimises future problems.

Best of luck with whatever you decide and congrats' on getting such a good order :clap:

Peter
prospero

Post by prospero »

:wink: It's often less trouble to do things properly than trying to cut corners. :roll:

As for spring clips, I use lots of them. Very good for fixing canvases into frames.
One thing: They can mark some walls if they get to rub against them. But you can stick
frame bumpers (preferably felt) directly to the springs.

Another thing: The smaller spring clips have sharp corners and if you fix them with a power driver
the screw can snag and spin the clip round and fetch a divot out of your finger. :?