Very large print on photographic paper

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Jo
Organisation: The Frame Game
Interests: Would like to have some if I wasn't at work all the time!

Very large print on photographic paper

Post by Jo »

I am currently framing a large expensive limited edition print in metallic inks on high gloss photographic paper. Obviously being limited edition I didn't want to stick it down but the paper is rippling and the ripples catch the light and show up. The customer has said he is happy to have it stuck down as he would prefer it to be flat, but I can't think of a way to do it safely.

It is too big for my dry mount press, and I would worry about dry mounting it anyway to be honest. I'm pretty sure no one would recommend self adhesive boards - are there any other options I haven't thought of?
Jamesnkr

Re: Very large print on photographic paper

Post by Jamesnkr »

Sounds like a feature of the production process. Tell the customer to live with the ripples as that's how it's supposed to be. Don't make his problem become yours...
Jo
Organisation: The Frame Game
Interests: Would like to have some if I wasn't at work all the time!

Post by Jo »

He has now come back to me and said not to do anything I'm uncomfortable with now I have pointed out the risks, so unless anyone has a brilliant idea, I am going to leave it alone.
prospero

Post by prospero »

If in doubt -> do nowt. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

That sound like the framing job from hell. Being high gloss and with metallic inks, it will be very hard to get this to look right, no matter how you choose to do this. If it is decided to dry mount this, the only sensible way to do this is to stick the photograph on to a dead flat sheet of aluminium. Unfortunately not many framers possess the necessary knowledge, equipment and a clean room for doing work like this.

Dry mounting a job like yourself this on to normal dry mounting materials is probably not worth doing, so you probably have already taken this job as far as most framers would won't to go with this. Your reservations about taking this any further, sound like wise council to me.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Post by kuduframes »

If I get a job like this I tend to refer the customer direct to a local sign manufacturing company who have some serious mounting kit, not sure offhand but I think it will handle up to 1.5 metre wide or more. They dry mount onto fomex or dibond and usually come up trumps every time.
They also laminate and I have often used this as an alternative to glazing particularly on large poster type work of lower value.
Main thing is that any risk is on the customer's account.