Reasonable Price?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Frida
Organisation: FridasFramery
Interests: Framing!

Reasonable Price?

Post by Frida »

Hello all,

I'm just starting out on my own, I've got my workshop space sorted and now looking to buy my first few bits second hand...

I wondered if you could help, on ebay there is a Morso 'F' Mitre Guillotine, (R Hand Extension, Spare Blades)
and a Cassese CS79 Underpinner. He said he would take £1000 for them both. They seem to be in good condition.

Is this too much? I have been comparing with similar and am also unsure about the Casesse CS79 as have been used to using a CS-88, is it just as good?

Would appreciate any opinions on this,

Thanks!
prospero

Re: Reasonable Price?

Post by prospero »

Hi and Welcome Frida. :D

The price seems fair to me. Assuming both are in good nick and working condition.

You could always offer 850 and see if he will come down a bit. :roll:

Never used a CS79. It's the bog std Cassesse starter model I believe. Cassesse is a good brand though.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

On eBay a fair price for a Morso like that is probably £600-£900, the underpinner is about £200-250 (I've no idea how good they are).

Note though, the Morso lacks a left-hand arm extension that will cost you £124 plus VAT from Lion. You need one of these; they get lost as they're not green and look as though they don't belong to the Morso. You (probably) won't find one second hand and at that price I'd be asking him for a considerable contribution to it; he might not be prepared to.

https://www.lionpic.co.uk/p/7776/Morso- ... port-Table
prospero

Post by prospero »

I've managed for 33 years without a left hand extension. :P I'd sooner have a automatic rebate support kit.

http://www.morso-guillotines.dk/product ... ebate.html
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Yes, agree it would be useful. But it's as much as I paid for my Morso and I'm tight. https://www.lionpic.co.uk/p/38993/Autom ... -for-Morso

Must be possible to build something that does the same job?
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

I imagine going without the left hand support wouldn't be too big a problem.

If you could find something anywhere the right height to support the moulding you'd be laughing.
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

Chris_h
Organisation: www.TheUKLandscape.com
Interests: Photography, Football, F1, printing & framing www.Photographyprinting.co.uk

Post by Chris_h »

For the Morso I would see if Mark still has one at Underpinner Spares. At least you will know it's all set up correctly. You can save a bit from ebay, but if you end up not getting the joins you want it soon ends up getting expensive with lots of wasted moulding. That was certainly the case with mine.
https://www.underpinner-spares.co.uk/co ... -s-n-40334

I don't know if they still do them, but I got my left hand arm from Framers Corner for around £50 and it fits perfect on the Morso.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Call me over cautious, but buying expensive kit on ebay would worry me a bit, it's a bit too anonymous for my liking. At least anything that turns up for sale on this forum is likely to have come from another framer. I would be carefully not to had over your money until you can see and check out the goods first.

BTW, my first underpinner was a CS-79 and they are o.k. The main mechanism is essentially the same as the CS-88, but the CS-88 can handle larger mouldings. I never needed to join any mouldings larger that the CS-79 could handle and to be honest it's not likely that most framers will find this a prolem.

You should not have any concerns about the CS-79, but as always give it a though check before parting with your money. Please note that the CS-79 is still a current machine and the main spares you are ever likely to need are common with the CS-88. So spares won't be a problem.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
red
Organisation: none
Interests: woodwork

Post by red »

it depends on how quick you want your equipment, I watched and waited and bought
a morso which had been under a cover in a shed used only a few times -£400
a cs88 used a fair bit but in good condition-£200
there are bargains out there.if there are lots for sale they can be cheaper
but not always
I found it an education in buying stuff for sure!
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Frida
Organisation: FridasFramery
Interests: Framing!

Post by Frida »

Thanks so much for your advice all.

I've managed to barter down the price to £850 for them both. I've got a van and some muscle sorted to help with the collection tomorrow but will give them a thorough once over before I part with my dosh :)

So glad this forum exists, think it's going to be a bit of a lifeline!
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

When you pick the morso up, make sure the blades are in the locked down position. Better still, take the blades off - you'll be wanting to have them sharpened anyway, probably, so you might as well. Be careful they will hurt you.

And don't use the Morso-provided blade spanner. Nasty dangerous thing with a handle that slips. Bin it or put it on eBay if you have one. Instead take a decent socket set.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Careful James. :shock: Morso box spanners are made that way so you can't overtighten the bolts. You can apply
a lot of wellie with a socket set and the bolts are about 15 quid each. Plus a set of easy-outs to remove the sheared bolt.
red
Organisation: none
Interests: woodwork

Post by red »

also check the horizontal bar at the back where it joins the main body
it can bend the main body or worse it can be repaired easily
but something to look for
prospero

Post by prospero »

A sure sign of heavy usage is the bolt holes at the ends of the pedal. If they're oval it's had
a hard life. I've seen Morsos where the holes had nearly worn to the edges of the pedal levers.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

prospero wrote:Careful James. :shock: Morso box spanners are made that way so you can't overtighten the bolts. You can apply
a lot of wellie with a socket set and the bolts are about 15 quid each. Plus a set of easy-outs to remove the sheared bolt.
Careful Prospero. :shock: Bolts: £15. New hands: priceless. Those blade spanners are ridiculously dangerous. Get yourself a torque wrench if you think you might over-tighten the bolts - or don't hold the socket lever at the end.

If you must use the Morso spanner to tighten them up, then don't use them to untighten the bolts where - particularly if they were tightened by somebody else - they run the risk of requiring quite some push to make them move; that's the point at which the handle slips and your hand comes off. By throwing the spanner away you take away that temptation.

Well, those are my rules; nobody else has to follow them!
Mark Thornton
Organisation: Underpinner Spares
Interests: Red wine - lots and lots of it.

Post by Mark Thornton »

prospero wrote:Careful James. :shock: Morso box spanners are made that way so you can't overtighten the bolts. You can apply
No jamesnkr is correct the Morso box spanners are not made so you can't overtighten them, they are just a poor/dangerous design
and if you're paying £15 for a bolt then you are paying far too much as they are £6.50 each or a set of 6 costs £36
Bolts: https://www.underpinner-spares.co.uk/pr ... blade-bolt

Mark
https://www.underpinner-spares.co.uk Framing equipment spare parts - Easy online ordering
prospero

Post by prospero »

I stand corrected. :oops:
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Thinking about it, I probably should have mentioned that the CS-79 does not have a rebate clamp. This never mattered much to me, but I'm mentioning it now just for completeness of information. It does not much matter, especially as the rebate clamp on the CS-88 is not particularly good either.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer