How do I use this particular mitre guillotine?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Yewleaf
Organisation: Yewleaf Wishes
Interests: Walking, woodworking, cnc, design, reading, machinery restoration

How do I use this particular mitre guillotine?

Post by Yewleaf »

I bought this bench top mitre guillotine to improve my mitre joints for framing. I am not sure if this machine allows me to take a "nibble" out of a moulding to make two mitres simultaneously, or if I have to rough cut my mitre first on a saw, then finish it off with this?

Any help or techniques for producing frames quickly/ accurately using this machine would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
20171014_180427.jpg
20171014_180427.jpg (4.29 MiB) Viewed 6005 times
20171014_180416.jpg
20171014_180416.jpg (4.77 MiB) Viewed 6005 times
20171014_180412.jpg
20171014_180412.jpg (4.33 MiB) Viewed 6005 times
20171014_180401.jpg
20171014_180401.jpg (4.02 MiB) Viewed 6005 times
prospero

Re: How do I use this particular mitre guillotine?

Post by prospero »

Hi and Welcome Yewleaf. :D

Looks like a nice piece of kit you have there.

Never used one, but it seems as if the wheel at the front is used the advance/retract the blades thus making it possible
to cut two mitres at once. (Don't quote me on that)
Did the machine come with the blades already in? If you don't know the last time they were sharpened I would make that
your first priority. Not sure of the grinding specs for that brand of blade, but I would think the same as Morso blades.

One thing it appears to be lacking is a measuring scale to the right. Easy enough to knock up for not a lot of cash. You can
make a 'lead out' table level with the machine bed and mount a ruler on it. Then you need a sliding clamp. Once you have it
calibrated it will speed thing up no end. You can get steel engineer's rules in a variety on lengths.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Yewleaf

Post by Yewleaf »

Thanks for the help! I bought this for £50 from a kitchen fitter haha. So I don't think the blades have had the sharpen they require yet. I will try to find a place in the UK that can sharpen them for me.

As for the scale, that sounds good. I will have a look at how people have created this modification you mentioned. And have a go at doing this to my machine.

I had some difficulty in freeing up the wheel movement last week, as I believe the previous owner did not use that function of the machine. I applied some general purpose machine oil and it seems to have freed up the turn screw and dovetail sled. I have seen people on YouTube using the foot operated version of my machine, but I can see how I can use two hand on each side of the moulding, whilst operating the lever to take a piece out.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I made a measuring system for my saw setup.

It's basically a piece of laminated chipboard with a piece of wood set at 90º. The little 3-sided 'frame' acts as a stop.
I was going to make it a bit fancier but at the time I just slapped on a G-clamp and it's functioned like that ever since.
The 5ft steel rule (£25 ebay) is stuck on with ds tape. You can probably see the sliding stop is in two parts. This is to allow
it to be flipped out for cutting short bits. On your machne you won't need to do this.

* You can buy scales like this ready made but more fun and cheaper to make your own. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Yewleaf

Post by Yewleaf »

Thank you sharing those photos with me. It looks like a great setup. I will take your advice and give that a go for sure!
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Welcome to the FF Yewleaf

Apart from seeing these machines very occasionally for sale on ebay I know nothing about them. Sorry :( . Saying that, prospero has offered very practical advice as usual :D

I will only add that there are two "framing engineers" who post on here. It may be worth seeking them out for advice especially regarding getting the blades sharpened. If the blades are of a "morso type" then it will not be too much of a problem.

Peter
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

poliopete wrote:regarding getting the blades sharpened. If the blades are of a "morso type" then it will not be too much of a problem.
My first port of call will be Lion for these blades. If they cannot sharpen them then they would most likely know someone who can.

Ask for Jack Siwinski
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I strongly suspect that you have got an earlier version of the Morso model BA. This is because I know that the Morso BA has shorter blades and these blades therefore only have two fixing bolts per blade. This may be good news, if this is so, because there are those who use these machines and obviously must already need to get their blades sharpened from time to time.

Even if this is not a Morso BA, Danlist who manufacture the Morso have two other brands within their range, (one of these is Hanson and at present I can't remember the other name), but I would imagine that it would be worth finding out, if new blades are still available for your machine. It's also probably worth mentioning the various types of mitre trimmers which may be worth investigating, just in case any of these use blades suitable to fit your machine.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Post by kuduframes »

It's an Ortegull, the nameplate is visble on the final photo in the op
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Thanks Kuduframes,

I can't read that on my computer, even after zooming in, but sadly my knowledge of Ortegull machines is zilch. Perhaps someone else can offer more information about this.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022