Dibond

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Dibond

Post by Framerpicture »

We are getting more and more enquiries for Dibond prints (prints adhered to aluminium sheet). We have framed these in the traditional way but I'm also aware that you can use this process without frame or glass, just hanging from a sub-frame.

I wondered if this mounting process is possible with a Jetmaster? We've had one of these machines for years and very rarely use it. I see you can get the aluminium sheet cut to size relatively inexpensively.

I also see it is also now possible to get images printed directly on to the aluminium. I'd be interested to know how good the quality the printing will be from a budget price operator.
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Re: Dibond

Post by Richard Photofusion »

Lion do a whole range of subframes for prints mounted to aluminium / DiBond. Very simple and quick to use.

Assuming you mean a jetmounter from Hotpress, these are ideal for mounting to DiBond - I'd only ever use their facemount adhesive with these materials, and it does take a while to get the hang of, but ultimately a straightforward process.

Direct to substrate printing can be done cheaply, or it can be done well. There are a couple of options - either direct UV print, or a dyesub process called chromalux. I suspect that with either, you'll get what you pay for!
Framerpicture

Post by Framerpicture »

Thanks Richard, had this machine tucked away I can't even remember it's name!
When you say you only use a facemount adhesive, does that mean no laminate on top of the image?
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Post by Richard Photofusion »

Facemount is the adhesive that Hotpress make, also called (ISTR) fynart. Damnedably expensive, but dead flat.

80% of the pieces we put onto Dibond or aluminium, we laminate with something like a satin matt, to protect the surface. This also makes the handling of the material much easier, and lets you have the image full bleed.

So, print (oversized by 6mm) onto a resincoated paper, then laminate print. We tend to use sections of DiBond as carrier boards for the lamination process, as the protective film on it acts as a release film, making the Dibond almost endlessly re-usable.

Cut DiBond or aluminium to the precise size required. Apply oversized sheet of facemount adhesive to substrate. Trim off excess adhesive with a razor blade.
Apply oversized print to substrate. Trim off excess with razor razorblade.
Build subframe, and apply UHB tape to frame. Peel off release from UHB and apply subframe to mounted print.
Make cup of tea.

I avoid mounting fibrebased inkjets - either coton rag or alphacellulose - especially if these are wanted full bleed. The chance of the edge of the image chipping is very high.

If you are looking at prints on materials such as FujiFlex, then I'd try to avoid Dibond, and go for aluminium. Dibond makes a wonderful capacitor, and dust will go to place that you really want no dust.
Framerpicture

Post by Framerpicture »

Thank you Richard, I will start experimenting!
Framerpicture

Post by Framerpicture »

One other question, is there an adhesive that would be suitable for images that will be shown outside