Creased architectural drawing anyone ?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Creased architectural drawing anyone ?

Post by Bagpuss »

Can someone remind me how best to "relax" a badly creased drawing in the Hotpress please ? Im not sticking it down, just want to get creases out, haven't tried this for years.
2017-11-04 12.08.55.jpg
2017-11-04 12.08.55.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 1550 times
Thanks,
Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
prospero

Re: Creased architectural drawing anyone ?

Post by prospero »

Well the good news is you've got waves rather than bumps. So if you try to flatten it the paper only has to flatten in one direction.
A bump is far more problematic to get out as it needs to push the paper 360º. This nearly always leaves you with 'half-moon' crease.
You should be able to press the waves out, but they look pretty extreme. I would place a board on top so there isn't a lot of pressure
just to check that the waves will flatten without folding back on themselves.
Place it between two pieces of mountboard (not on the face sides) and give it a quick squeeze at low pressure then release the pressure
and check that it's going the right way. No sharp creases. If all is well, put it back and give it a press for a few minutes at higher pressure.
The moisture in the boards will get sucked out by the vacuum and combined with the heat creates a sort of mini-sauna. Switch the heat off
and the vac and let it cool without lifting the lid. When you take it out it should be permanently flattened.

Good Luck. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About