Moulding and mounts slip ID please

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
DaveJ
Organisation: FrameCraft
Interests: Picture Framing.

Moulding and mounts slip ID please

Post by DaveJ »

]Hi guys has anyone seen this mouldings before and know where I can get this decorative mount slip or similar? The second picture is a real close up of a mount slip! Thank you.
20171109_164535.jpg
20171109_164535.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 2941 times
Attachments
20171109_164601.jpg
20171109_164601.jpg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 2941 times
prospero

Re: Moulding and mounts slip ID please

Post by prospero »

I think you are going to struggle with that Greek key insert. :roll: The moulding looks distinctly unfamiliar too.

It could be that they were produced exclusively for someone and have never been available to the trade.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Hmm, yeah I'm thinking maybe they were bought abroad, will get some more info, Thanks.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

The rope twist frame looks like a stacked moulding job, but I have not seen a gold rope twist moulding like that in years. Renaissance mouldings used to do a rose twist a lot like that, but sadly Renaissance mouldings are no more. Might be worth talking to Centraldo as they bought the remaining stock when Renaissance closed down.

I never seen that greek key moulding anywhere. I'm guessing, but it might be the sort of thing that Byron Mouldings could have done, but again Byron Mouldings are also no more. I would think that the chances of getting that greek key moulding a very slight, probably not at all.

What are you like at hand finishing? Rose and Hollis do some Richard Birbidge rope twist mouldings that could be glued on to another moulding and you could get pretty close to that one looking about right.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Thanks guys I think he's going to go for whatever I can find similar, thankfully! I will look at Rose and Hollis though thanks for your help.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

The first photo with the rope twist is not a stacked , as I have used it may years ago, but I can't think where we got it from, it could be plastic, but i wouldn't swear to it :sweating:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/