map

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

map

Post by Ed209 »

Just been asked about the following please advise on best method please, Apparently the map is paper so no built in rigidity.

Have already done a couple of jobs for the customer and more to come so really don't want to decline this one if possible.

Hi. I have a map of the world that I'd like framed for my husband for Christmas. It needs to have no glass as it's a scratch off map used to scratch off places you've visited (scratch card style). How much would it be for a black frame 76cmx48cm Please
Glimpse

Re: map

Post by Glimpse »

I get loads of these! I mount on a sticky board and drop it straight in the frame.

Dead easy and a good earner - no mount, no glass and no flumbs ! And you can charge a bit for mounting.
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

We took another one of these in for framing this morning. We put them through the Jetmounter to stick them down to board, then straight in a frame. They are pretty straightforward to do.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Ed209

Post by Ed209 »

could I do this without a Jet mounter or is it to big to get satisfactory results with just a self adhesive backboard and roller? As I have read quit a bit about people not being happy to do anything by hand over the size of a A3 photo etc.
Ed209

Post by Ed209 »

while were on the subject if you had to get a Hotpress or Jet mounter which in your opinions is the most practical for general use
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

We did these with a hand roller before we got the Jetmounter. We tended to go for belt and braces approach of doing it by hand/roller and then leaving it under a load of backing board (lots of weight) overnight to be doubly sure. They usually come with a tissue/film over the top of the map, so use that over the surface when you are putting pressure on it to avoid any marks etc.

As for which is better - Hotpress or Jetmounter - well we are lucky enough to have both. We got the Hotpress very early on on a Spring Fair special offer through D&J Simons because we picked up a customer at the time (now retired) who then pretty much paid for it with the work we did for him, and we managed fine with that for a long time. We got the Jetmounter second hand through this forum from someone who was retiring. These days it tends to be the thing we use most. If I had to keep one of them it would be the Jetmounter. We even used it to help bond down the sticky back material to our chevron boards! Having said that it really does depend on what your prime use for it would be and what your business set up is. We don't do any printing or anything.

One thing I would recommend though is the courses they run to help you get the most out of your purchase.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

have a look at the youtube vid in the other thread , the next post down from you comment
https://www.theframersforum.com/viewtop ... 32&t=15953
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

Ed, don’t worry about the size, they’re fine for sticky boards. Just watch that vid Steve linked to.

The maps are printed on decent paper, around 200gsm, and have a laminate on the face, so you’d really have to work hard to get a wrinkle in it! The lam makes air pockets tricky to disperse if they occur, just make a tiny prick with the point of a scalpel (in an unobtrusive area like a black printed line) and tease the air out.

I’ve gone down the hot press only route, simply due to the sheer versatility. There’s not much I’d ever need a jetmounter for that can’t be sorted with sticky boards and a hand roller.