Paint finished frames

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Paint finished frames

Post by Not your average framer »

I've seen nice things done with egg tempera. It's actually quite a classy finish and has been used on a variety of surfaces, even on frames. I've not had all that much to do with egg tempera, but there are others on this forum who probably can answer the more detailed questions a good deal better.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Benhen
Organisation: Ben Henriques
Interests: Fine frames

Post by Benhen »

Prospero, that’s great, thx, am now getting visions of him at B&Q.... ‘eh, per favore, that’ll be on Leo’s tab’... ‘scusa, senore, ma, the cardinal says no more credit for you boys!’
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

:clap:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

:lol: :ninja:

"I wanted Misty Buff"

Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Benhen wrote:Ask the local farmer if there is an exposed riverbank of clay nearby.
You can buy earth pigments in a range of colours, you know. That would save making all your frames the same colour as well as having to find a farmer with a muddy field.
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

I think what he means is that the clay is a filler in the paint and would (or not) be coloured by adding earth pigments or other. The clay would give a nice flat finish to the paint and miixed with egg yoke, and a few drops of oil of cloves to preserve and make it smell nice, would be a finish that is as hard as nails.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Look, Prospero posted a picture of an edible frame last week; it was only funny once... :giggle:
Not your average framer

I don't know a lot about creating egg tempera, but I use stuff like DAS modelling clay which comes in small packets. As far as I know it's just ordinary clay, maybe something like this might be suitable. I've got to admit the I like the sound of making egg tempera, could be interesting to give this a go.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

'Interesting' is not the word I would use. :lol: :giggle: :Slap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About