Removing sticky residue

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Removing sticky residue

Post by Rainbow »

I've got an aerial photograph to reframe. It's 50 x 40cm and about 70 years old, but I think it was last framed more recently than that (maybe 20-30 years ago?). It had been taped with masking tape across the top, which I've removed but it's left a sticky residue on the back of the photograph. It wouldn't be a disaster if I couldn't remove the residue, but I'm wondering whether to try. Any thoughts?
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: Removing sticky residue

Post by StevenG »

I've found lighter fluid to be useful for things like this
prospero

Post by prospero »

If it isn't causing a problem leave it alone. You are straying into restoration territory. :?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Thanks, I decided to leave the current job alone as the residue is at the back of the image, but next time I get a job where the residue is along a border, I might give the lighter fluid a try.
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Hi Rainbow'

I think you have made the correct decision. In the past I've been guilty of attempting too much to please a customer. :oops:

Since reading TFF I now heed the general consensus advice and no longer attempt to stray into restoration or as is often said "don't let the customers problem become your problem".

There are some on here that are competent cleaning/repairing/restoring customers images. :clap:

A little lighter fluid applied with a cotton bud on the extreme edge is definitely as far as I go these days. :sweating:

Peter
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

poliopete wrote: A little lighter fluid applied with a cotton bud on the extreme edge is definitely as far as I go these days. :sweating:
Duh, I don't think I'd have thought of using a cotton bud, thanks for that suggestion.

I was telling a relative about this forum today and what I'd recently asked, and he said that he'd seen a similar problem discussed on the Antiques Roadshow and the antiques expert had rubbed a cut potato along the residue - has anybody ever heard of that...? I'm not sure I'd want to do that with it being organic - I've no idea whether any potato juice would remain on the paper and might attract mould growth but I wouldn't like to risk it.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Beware of these patent remedies. :roll: There are 100s of them and some may work in certain situations but the trick
is knowing what the situation is exactly.

Leave them to the old wives. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Rainbow wrote:the antiques expert
It doesn't sound likely.