Hoffman Dovetail Router vs Cassese Underpinner

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Re: Hoffman Dovetail Router vs Cassese Underpinner

Post by Framemaker Richard »

not sure how a decorative corner joining method is distracting to the work, especially a simple dovetail, you obviously would not do this with the plastic keys, but I think a contrasting wood (oak in ash frame) looks like the sort of thing you don't find in every frame shop.

The same goes for splines, and lap joints with dowels, they look pretty good to me but maybe not everyone wants to see some sign of any wood working joining method, they would rather it is hidden.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Yes, i see what you're saying. I do like the middle one and the left one is interesting, is that Aluminium?
My mentor is into clean lines/ minimalist finish, so its good to see things outside of that box, thanks.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

The plastic dovetail keys are not absorbent, so using a waterbased wood glue will not tend to bond to the plastic key very well, but the dovetail key will contribute some support for the mitred joint. Unfortunately that level of support will depend upon how much wood is left either side of the dovetail key, too little wood may allow the taper on the key to displace the wood under load, or stress, in which case the dovetail key is not helping to strengthen the joint at all.

Obviously there can be limitations, when inserting these dovetail keys into narrow moulding, but it is possible to avoid these limitation by being careful when choosing suitable mouldings to make sure that this risk is illiminated. This does not mean there is anything wrong with getting a Hoffman router, there are limitations with other methods as well, but if we work around these limitations and everything will be just fine.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't see any problem with the plastic dovetail keys, after you've taped over the rear of the frame, you won't see them at all. I can't see much point in the hardwood keys, if they come in long lengths and you have to keep cutting the lengths down in lots of little lengths.

Surely you want to have less fuss and more productivity. Just get the Hoffman router and the plastic keys, it ticks all the right boxes for your original requirements. BTW, there are different sizes of router bits and dovetail keys to suit different requirements, so it's up to you to pick the right size according to the size of the moulding.

It sounds like a good solution to me, but personally I would think that you will still find there are times when you will still need the underpinner.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer