Advice please

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Machiners2
Organisation: Machin & Machin
Interests: Walking, bridge, sewing, golf, theatre and comedy

Advice please

Post by Machiners2 »

I am framing a quite large reproduction map in a simple black frame, with no mount. What would be an acceptable way to keep it flat in the frame, as I don’t have dry mounting equipment. Thanks so much.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Advice please

Post by Not your average framer »

That's always a difficult question. In an ideal world you would not want the map to be touching the glass, so as to avoid the effects of condensation up on the inside of the glass affecting the map. The condensation problem occurs when there is enough humidity in the air, together with a large enough temperature difference between the inside of the frame and the air temperature on the outside of the glass.

Some varieties of paper on maps and prints can be more of a problem in this regard than others. One possibility is to use flat slips to space the map away from the glass, this is not always totally sucessful, particularly if the map can cockle due to humidity in the air, but if you can space the map back from the glass by a large enough amount the paper will not be able to cockle enough to touch the glass.

Of course the depth of the spacer will have an effect up on the visual presentation of the framed map and this should be discussed and approved with the customer. If the customer decides to have the map in direct contact with the glass, you need to have something in writing to show that the customer was advised of the risks and still decided that this should be done against you advice.

It should be understood that condesation can result in damage to the map which may destroy the value of the map, effects can induce mould, discolouration and the map being stuck on to the glass. The ability to adequately remedy and reverse these problems should not be assumed.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

What is the size of the map? There are other ways to mount a reproduction including subcontracting the mounting to someone who has the proper equipment.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
prospero

Post by prospero »

To frame it without dry-mounting and without a mount is possible, but quite tricky and you would need to use a wide (30mm?) slip.
Being what it is the best way would be to get it mounted if you can and place hidden spacers under the rebate to lift the glass away.
I do this using strips of mountboard doublestick-taped to the glass. A double thickness is preferable on large things.
*Blackcore board makes the spacers less obvious.

You could just put it straight in the frame and it might sit there perfectly happy and not wrinkle. Unlikely, but it might. :roll:

If you do it get it mounted it won't wrinkle and you'll be able to space the glass away quite simply. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Machiners2
Organisation: Machin & Machin
Interests: Walking, bridge, sewing, golf, theatre and comedy

Post by Machiners2 »

Hi there thank you so much for the replies ! That helped so much. We’ve decided to mount the map. So all good, and I’ve learnt that I should not really offer to frame stuff without a mount unless I get ideally get it dry mounted elsewhere (or customer does) .. And that’s a really good tip about the fillets of black core between the glass and the artwork.
Thanks so much again :D