50 Polaroids

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
DEEPJOY
Organisation: inPicture Framing
Interests: Framing, Photography, Aircooled VW and time to be creative.

50 Polaroids

Post by DEEPJOY »

Hi All

The customer is happy to have 50 Polaroids to stuck down permanently in a multi aperture layout. Would you use something like the colourmount adhesive board to stick them down? Or would you still prefer the hinge method?

Also, on a point of quoting would you charge for the mount board and a price per opening or base it on time? Human time, or machine time. I understand it is always based on each members personal opinion and overhead, but is there guide per opening both on a manual and CMC mount cutter?
prospero

Re: 50 Polaroids

Post by prospero »

I'll tell thee summat.....

I found an album of Polaroids from the '70s the other week and they had all but faded to nowt. :roll:
Hardly seen the light of day.

So if yours are still reasonably good it would be a good idea to advise the customer to get then scanned and reprinted.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

“Readers Wife’s” ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

Every year I get a customer coming in with polaroids that he has taken during the year.
Polaroids are funny as they are actually small photos inside a plastic pocket, so if you stick down the back the actual photo isn't stuck down anyway.
For charging I have a price per aperture that I add on that reflects my time taken to cut the extra aperture.
I cut by hand though so I would outsource something like this to someone with a CMC.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I heard bad things about polaroid's, I don't think that they have a particularly long life and this probably gets worse if they are not stored to protect they from exposure from the light. When I was an engineer, I was not allowed to photocopy them, because it was not known if the light from a photocopier would reduce the life of the photos.

I'm guessing, but I suspect that these should be reproduced onto normal photographic media and that the reproductions should be the ones that are framed. You should also consider if you need additional copies, because I don't know how long the original polaroid's will remain usable.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer