Big OS map

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Big OS map

Post by Ed209 »

Just had a big OS map come in W 830mm x H 1,050mm Does not want mount as wants glass to press down as much as possible to flaten

Couple of questions the moulding he would like is Wessex 1 1/2 Oak Cushion PW112 is that going to be substantial enough I can Domino the mitres and fit metal corner braces if required

Glass thickness would 2mm float be ok at that size or 3mm
got approximately 9mm of depth in moulding so looking for recommendation back board / bracing

Thanks Paul
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Re: Big OS map

Post by kuduframes »

That frame should be strong enough even if you went for 3 mm glass.

On a few jobs I've used a local sign company to dry mount large posters and maps on to 3 or 5 mm fomex and laminate. This makes for a lightweight package which is quite durable without any extra glazing and quite honestly looks the bees knees. Does'nt even need a back board.

Sign makers do this kind of thing on larger scales than picture framers, like 2 metres wide, and can even "weatherproof" the laminate, it beats the likes of us messing about with a hotpress or jet mounter
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

Glass pressed down onto paper will necessarily keep it flat.
Paper that cockles or buckles is surprisingly strong and can push against glass.
A sheet of glass that size is still within a normal 4 x 3 sheet so I'd be okay with 2mm as long as it was well supported.
prospero

Post by prospero »

People often get the idea that glass will flatten things. If the paper swells/expands with changes in humidity
it will cockle if it's confined. The forces involved are enormous. The glass will not hold it flat. In fact I think if
you had a 2" thick piece of glass and backed it with a paving slab it would still cockle. :lol: :wink:

If you want to keep it flat either drymount it or hinge it with the edges unrestricted.

If the customer insists by all means do what he asks but warn him of the consequences. Otherwise he is likely
to return at a future date with a wavy map and expect you to fix it. :evil: Then his problem becomes your problem.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

pramsay13 wrote:Glass pressed down onto paper will necessarily keep it flat.
Paper that cockles or buckles is surprisingly strong and can push against glass.
A sheet of glass that size is still within a normal 4 x 3 sheet so I'd be okay with 2mm as long as it was well supported.
That's why you should proof-read your own posts :head:
I meant to say glass pressed down onto paper will NOT necessarily keep it flat.
Ed209

Post by Ed209 »

Thank you all for feedback I have decided in this instance to let Wessex fine art do the whole job I will not be making anything on this but that is just part of my learning curve and I keep a potentially good customer.

In hindsight I should have not tried to quote him straight away before doing my research but came out with the usual "Just a rough Idea" which they then hold you to :D

I will be much better prepared in the future for similar jobs and will make sure I charge appropriately so I add my bit on if I feel the need to farm out again.
jay

Post by jay »

Just as an aside re OS maps.... they've changed the inks they use to achieve finer detail.
In the past I've successfully mounted the "old ink" maps using the PMA adhesive roll from Lion onto fc board.
Tried it on one of the new maps a few months ago, and whilst it went on fine, and appeared to adhere well, the next day it had bubbled badly....
Got in touch with OS, and although they say they can be cold mounted, don't use adhesives as per my method!!
Would've normally used hinges, but customer didn't want a window mount. :?

From OS Website....
"If you intend to laminate your map or have it framed elsewhere, please be aware that Ordnance Survey Custom Made maps are printed using 'Toner Crystal Point' technology. This enables the fine detail to be achieved that is not possible using inkjet on uncoated map paper.

Applying heat or solvents to the printed product again will 're-activate' the toner causing the image to run and spread so we recommend that you:

Don’t use hot mount framing processes, don't hot dry mount the map
Don’t encapsulate or laminate the map using a hot heat process
Don’t use adhesives on the map
Hinge mounting or dry, cold mounting using acid free adhesive and acid free board is recommended."

Just so no one else gets caught out like I did! :(
Ed209

Post by Ed209 »

Thank you for that very interesting will certainly make it a lot easier to explain to customers in future mount and hinges the best option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk