Framing a long giclée print.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
chevron

Framing a long giclée print.

Post by chevron »

A couple brought a 6ft by 18inches limited edition print from South Africa into the shop yesterday for framing ...... I hadn’t been open long and my partner wasn’t even in to help me measure or price the job up :lol:

Any ideas would be most appreciated :wink:

I suggested that the customer has acrylic glazing as I am always a bit feared of such large pictures going into someone’s home that I have done with glass but was wondering what other framers would do.
mounts, mitres, measuring, moulding, mdf, morso, millimetres, mmmmm
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Framing a long giclée print.

Post by JFeig »

That is a good start.

Just use your design judgement an continue as if it is a smaller frame. Keep in mind your material strength limits.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

I have a job due in this month from one of the local churches, it’s 8 foot wide and just 18 inches high. I have produced a quote using my pricing software just like any other job. This will then allow me to tweak it when the customer comes in to discuss the options. I’m not going to put any prices here - pm or call me if you want any more details.

Do not underestimate the time/costs involved in doing this if you want to make a profit.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
chevron

Post by chevron »

JFeig wrote:That is a good start.

Just use your design judgement an continue as if it is a smaller frame. Keep in mind your material strength limits.
Hi JFeig.

I needed a little reassurance on the acrylic v glass issue and that’ll do nicely thankyou! :D

It’s a seascape ..... I’m now wondering about bowing problems with the acrylic :?

I’m thinking that I’d have to build a mount or use spacers but dreading that the print might start cockling and the acrylic may bow and the whole thing will look like a rough sea :rofl:

I tried to advise them to go to another framer but because we had framed something recently for them that they were happy with they are quite content waiting for us to do it.

What a start to the year! :sweating: :giggle:
chevron

Post by chevron »

YPF wrote:I have a job due in this month from one of the local churches, it’s 8 foot wide and just 18 inches high. I have produced a quote using my pricing software just like any other job. This will then allow me to tweak it when the customer comes in to discuss the options. I’m not going to put any prices here - pm or call me if you want any more details.

Do not underestimate the time/costs involved in doing this if you want to make a profit.
Oh my! That’s another couple of feet longer :o

Thanks for your comment YPF .... will certainly contact you if I get stuck :)

I know what you mean about time/costs and profit ..... in years gone by I think we’ve done some jobs for practically the love of framing :Slap: :giggle: