Mount Board cutting system tips

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
YorkshireBloke
Organisation: Home use photography framing
Interests: Art, living well

Mount Board cutting system tips

Post by YorkshireBloke »

Hi,

I'd appreciate comments on appropriate systems for a "little skill / experience" user making one or two Framings per week.

1. Is a 1200 mm base length better on smaller board cuts or is it overkill / gets in your way? Massive price difference for longer cut models.

2. I will be using a workbench, no room for freestanding. What is your tip for a good starter system please? :?:

Robert
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Re: Mount Board cutting system tips

Post by kuduframes »

Hi, The Keencut Ultimat Gold is a good place to start. The 40 inch /1000 mm model is probably a bit easier to manage than a 1200 mm if you intend to be lifting it on and off the bench. You do need to take a little car in handling it and storing it to avoid twisting the base.
YouTube has a few videos on the basic operations which you find useful.
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

I have a Keencut Ultimat Futura 1200 that was second hand at first it was troublesome and not consistent but after speaking to Andy the Thechnical man at Keencut everything is smooth and consistent. If you don’t intend to do bigger cuts go for the smaller version as one thing you do need is a very firm workbench so there is no possibility of the machine flexing although this is more of a issue on longer cuts. Can’t emphasise enough the back up from Keencut they have offered outstanding customer support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

I used the smaller one on my training course and would definitely recommend that over the longer one if you feel you never have the need for cutting bigger mounts, the do occupy a lot of space with the fences attached

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Quite obviously, if you are deciding to buy a mountcutter, the price you can afford to pay will be a significant factor. However if you are considering buying secondhand, it is likely that you may find more of the 1200mm models available than the 1000mm models. I've never had a 1000mm model myself, but there have been times when I have needed to cut mounts bigger than I can manage on my 1200mm cutter.

You may find yourself turning away more work by limiting yourself to a 1000mm cutter. I would think about this carefully, before going for a smaller cutter and figure out how much difference this might make in the longer term. Also I suspect that a 1000mm model might be less easy to sell, compared to a 1200mm model in the event that you want to sell it at a later date.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

FWIW I would be looking to the future and buying the best I can afford for the reasons given by Mark (NYAF) excellent advice by the way :D

Who knows you may soon be mounting and framing more than a couple of items a week :wink:

Very best of luck with you new venture and welcome to the FF.

Peter.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I started (1983) with a 40" cutter (Magnolia :? ) and used it for about 3-4 years. The first time I got a job
that wouldn't fit in it I got a 48" machine (C&H). It cost a bomb but it has earned it's keep. Still using it. :D

I'd say that at least 90% of the mounts you will get to cut will be under 40".
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I would say that Prosperro's 90% figure is if anything quite conservative. Mounts that are too big for my 1200mm cutter are probably around about 2% of my business, but larger jobs tend to account for a larger portion of your turn over. Not only that, but customers who bring in large items for framing can be those who keep bringing in larger jobs and repeat customers are an important asset to your business.

It's one thing to turn away not particularly profitable business, but turning away higher value high profit business is not the best way to build a successful business. Think carefully about buying good quality secondhand equipment to stretch your money further and to not lose to much when you resell and upgrade as time goes by.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

I always wish mine were smaller as I often have to move it on and off the workbench. Until I need to cut bigger mounts.

Hope that helps!
YorkshireBloke
Organisation: Home use photography framing
Interests: Art, living well

Post by YorkshireBloke »

Hi,

I missed out on the 1200 mm cutter but bid what I could afford so pay so I am sanguine- always another fish in the sea? :wink:

Robert