Acrylic vs Styrene

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Acrylic vs Styrene

Post by Rainbow »

Please could anyone advise if there any noticeable difference in quality between 2mm acrylic and either 1.5mm or 2mm styrene? I would be using Wessex products for either option. The size would be 635mm square. I'm thinking particularly of clarity, but perhaps also whether either is more susceptible to damage when dusting etc. Thanks.
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Re: Acrylic vs Styrene

Post by Framemaker Richard »

I think there's a huge difference, in my experience styrene is really poor when compared against cast or extruded acrylic... it scratches really easy is the most noticeable, in fact you only have to look at it or wipe with a duster and it starts getting marks, also acrylic has some longevity regarding yellowing and general clarity over time.
I think styrene is only a suitable as a glazing when cost is the most important factor, I use it for one artist for this reason and we don't even tape up the backs to keep cost down... I told him styrene is really only suitable for temporary glazing...
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Just look up at the ceiling fluorescent lights in any commercial building. Those diffusers that were once white that are now yellow; enough said about styrene.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Styrene does not have a lot to recommend it. It is not as rigid as acrylic and if your backing board is not flat and therefore pushing even a little against the styrene glazing the styrene will give and this will look bad as the light catches the curved surface on the styrene glazing.

Styrene is popular for mail order frames where frames, because of the need for posted without concerns about the glazing breaking during postage and also where price is more important than quality. Acrylic costs significantly more, but is also much superior in just about every way.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Many thanks, that's all really helpful.
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

OK, I've got Plexiglas and sorry, I know these are basic questions but I've not used Plexiglas before and I can't find the answers on their web site ...

The protective sheet says "Service Side". Does that mean it goes against the artwork or facing outwards?

I normally tape up a sandwich but is the Plexiglas likely to expand more than glass - should I leave it untaped and allow a little more room in the frame? (The customer isn't having mountboard.)

I've got such a lot to learn and all your help is much appreciated, thank you.
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

As a matter of interest, is it good practice to take the protective film off the acrylic before giving the framed picture back to the customer so that they can see the picture in all its glory, or to leave it on in order to protect it during wrapping, transit and hanging, leaving the customer to remove it at home?
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

If you don't remove it how can you be sure there are no dust or specks in the frame, we wrap our finished frames in bubble wrap
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/