Liquid Mercury inside Frame

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
absolute framing
Organisation: Absolute Framing
Interests: Reading the Lion Catalogue

Liquid Mercury inside Frame

Post by absolute framing »

Hi,

So I've had an old frame in for re-mounting. (20 odd years old)

Its a large photo -24" x 32" drymounted in some fashion (I never fully opened the sandwich)

When I took off the backing board there were some beads of mercury in the frame rebate and appeared to be more inside the mount/glass sandwich.
I resealed the frame and popped it in a plastic bag, awaiting client to phone me back.

Has anyone come across this before ?

Any advise/info on how this may of happened ?

many thanks

Stephen
Stephen Strahan
Jamesnkr

Re: Liquid Mercury inside Frame

Post by Jamesnkr »

Somebody broke a thermometer into the picture (or indeed there are all sorts of other applications whence it may have come)? It's only twenty years old, it's not as though it was framed in the dark ages.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Maybe the frame was just one of those Terminator (hiding in plain sight) things we hear about, was the client called Sarah?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I've heard bad things about mercury, like not very good for you, health and safety isuues and all that. Years ago people used to handle the stuff with their bare hands as no one knew about the dangers then, but that's supposed to be a forbidden thing these days. Personally I would not be keen to have much to do with this frame just in case mercury is as nasty as I have heard.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Mercury was once used to make mirrors. I have opened several in the past from the late 18th - the early 19th century that had small droplets of mercury in the bottom rails. I put on nitrile gloves and removed the mercury.

http://www.conservation-wiki.com/wiki/T ... am_Mirrors
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com