Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Roseberry Studio
Organisation: Roseberry Studio
Interests: Walking gardening art

Glass

Post by Roseberry Studio »

Hello
I'm new to this forum ,but here goes ,
What do you do with your glass waste ,not having any luck with recycling it !
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Glass

Post by Not your average framer »

Obviously there must be some glass that is not worth saving for ready made frames and stuff like that and I throw the unusable bits in the bin. However, you can trim some of the rest into standard sizes and store a limited amount for future use. To be honest, there's never a market for all of it, but some of it may create a little extra revenue as ready made frames.

I don't know how typical my own case is, but ready made frames will make a certain amount of money, but it's not a particularly massive amount. Sometimes a lot will go in one go, sometimes nothing happens for a while. Unfortunately I have not found a better way of dealing with this. Later this year, I'm expecting to relocate to a nearby building and I won't have space for ready made frames at all, so all my waste glass will go in the dumpster.

It's a shame that it has to be like this, but in my case there is no alternative.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roseberry Studio
Organisation: Roseberry Studio
Interests: Walking gardening art

Post by Roseberry Studio »

Thanks Mark
I suspected that this was the case but will give ready mades a try . Good luck in your new premises
Folly framing
Organisation: Folly framing
Interests: Framing, fabrics and philosophy

Post by Folly framing »

Hi. I use wessex for some of my supplies and they offer a glass recycling service. I can't see it on the website but if you give them a call they will talk you through it. You pay a small yearly subscription and they give you a special glass bin. You then pay about £2 for them to swap this for a new empty bin once yours is full. A centrado rep also said that the offer a simular service.

Hope this helps x
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

That sounds a good solution from Folly Framer :D

What works for me in getting rid of my glass cullet is to dump it in the skip of a replacement doors/windows company just down the road.
It would appear they do not stock 2mm glass so the send the occasional customer to me. :D In return they allow me to use their skip.

FWIW I read on here (TFF) that off cuts of float glass should not go in bottle banks. :( :o

Peter.
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Our waste contractor supplies us with a separate 240l bin that we put all our glass waste into. We have that collected fortnightly and it goes for recycling. We've just changed to a new waste contractor and the service offered by both the old one and the new one are the same, so if none of the other solutions works for you (eg using Wessex or Centrado) then have a chat with whoever provides your current waste contract for your general waste and/or recycling and see if it is a service they can provide.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022