Coins

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Coins

Post by pramsay13 »

I have a customer with a range of different coins they are wanting framed.
They are not valuable but all from a certain birth year.
They are wanting them glued or stuck on so they can't see any melinex cover.
Is this possible?
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Re: Coins

Post by kuduframes »

I experimented a little while back and glued a few different coins onto mount board (normal paper faced and suede) using evo stick serious stuff and evo stick serious glue.
Both worked very well and the coins had to be forcibly prised off and took the face paper with them when they did come off.
prospero

Post by prospero »

A coin collector would cringe at the thought, but double-stick foam tape will hold them firmly for a long
time - maybe forever. :P If they do drop then it's not a serious job to fix them back.
Also, you can easily remove them by slipping a blade between coin and mount.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I would not stick them with Evostick, it's very nasty stuff to get off and out gases for years depositing a visible film on the inside of the glazing in the frame. It's alway better if you can undo things just in case. I've had to remove Evostick from items framed by another framer, who also uses Evostick on needlework items. Lots of people are very upset when their needlework is damaged in this way and cannot be restored, because the damage cannot be reversed.

My local hardware shop sells some green double sided sticky pads which are suitable for re-fixing interior mirrors back on to car windscreens, when the original sticky pad fails. You get two of these pads in a pack for a pound and they stay stuck almost for ever. I've used these in the past, when customers don't want to see shiny mylar film. They are easily removable at a later date, if required. Just prize the coins off the mountboard and let the soak over night in a jar with some white spirit.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

My first port of call would be someone with a CMC who can cut a mount with circular holes to hold the coins in place. We did a number of these.

If that was not a possibility then silcone is the answer. A small blob of clear silicone on the back of each coin will hold it forever. However should you want to remove the coins then they can be peeled off the silicone leaving no marks.
kuduframes

Post by kuduframes »

I'll say it again " I experimented"
I used 1p coins, so low value and if a customer wanted their coins sticking down I would'nt have any issue in doing so.

BTW Mark, the Evo Stik I refer to is not the old classic contact adhesive of glue sniffing fame. The ES serious glue is described in Bostik's data sheet as "a single-part MS polymer adhesive, solvent free, odourless and safe to use."
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Thanks. There is a solvent based version still around, but the solvent they use was changed a while back. Probably to stop people sniffing it to get high. The original Evostick stuck quite well to metal surfaces. I have not used either version of Evostick for years so I don't know much about them these days.

Apparently there's quite a good adhesive available from builders merchants which is used for sticks UPVC cladding to just about anything. I don't know what it is called, or the type of adhesive it may contain, but I hear that it's good stuff. The local hardware shop had some stuff called "Sticks like **** to a blanket". I never bought any and they don't stock that one now, but maybe that could be good stuff if it's still available.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
kuduframes

Post by kuduframes »

Try googling evo stik, you'll be amazed how many varieties there are on the market, even worse take a to a BandQ or similar, the adhesives and sealants section is about 20 yards long and it will include "sticks lke **"
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

I've used little bits of VHB tape in the past, works very well. I've had a cigarette lighter attached to my underpinner for several years now, I can't get it off & the grip only seems to be getting better :lol:

Cheap too btw