Thrips / Thunder bugs

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Thrips / Thunder bugs

Post by Ed209 »

Thrips, Just had a customer come in with these little critters in in her pictures she had framed a professionally a couple of years ago, She wants them cleaned/mount replaced where necessary and sealed to prevent further problems also a couple of new commissions.

My understanding is that the Thrips tend to enter between the glass and frame so you need to encapsulate everything between the glass and backboard, So looking for advise on methods and materials to do this please

I have also noticed we have some in our own pictures we and my customer live near fields that grow oil seed Rape which from what I have read is a significant source of them

Thanks
Paul
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Thrips / Thunder bugs

Post by Not your average framer »

This is part of their reproductive behavior. They crawl into crevaces in the bark of trees to lay their eggs where they are safe from being eaten. The eggs hatch out and the young naturally head for the light, unfortunately for them, the light is coming in through the glass, so they stay there and die.

If you are located in an area where corn, wheat, barley, or rapeseed is grown, this is their natural food, so they will thrive in your area. It does appear that the choice of tape to seal the mount, glass and backing board package is quite varied and different framers claim good success with various different varieties of tape.

As far as I am able to understand, it probably is not essential to use an expensive variety of tape to achive success, but it will be easier to apply some tapes compared to others, particularly if the tape that you are using is not excessive in width. No doubt there will be various suggestions of different favorite varieties of tape from members of the forum. Try any tapes that seem suitable and see which one suits you.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

I was given this tip many years ago my a moulding rep. :idea: :D

I use masking tape to seal the back/mounted art/glass in one lump. Before anyone screams "non-archival!", I would
point out that the tape does not contact the art if properly mounted. Masking tape can be gooey stuff and some makes
tend to get gooier with age, which is all to the good as it catches the little flies as they try to wiggle underneath. If they
go over the top they just continue round the back and expire out of sight.

OK, if you have to dismantle the frame it's a bit more faff, but running a knife along the tape and slapping another layer
on top is the best way. If you had to do this on a regular basis then the tape layers would get too thick and you would have to
scrape the glass edges. This would not be a regular job in the normal course and much better than having flies in the frame.
They can cause irreparable damage to watercolours and prints, as well as being unsightly.

** The quick way to do it is to use about 38mm wide tape. Let it protrude over the glass and when the four pieces are on just run
a knife around to trim it back to about 3mm so it's hidden by the rebate lip. At the back there will maybe be 1/2" on the backboard
which gets taped over in the final finishing. Excess tape on the front easily peels off the glass and leaves no residue. Burnish the tape
that is left on the front to get a good stick. Make sure the corners have no gaps. Them critters are very persistent. :|

*** I use P-90 when sealing coated glass and lay it carefully so I don't have to trim it back. A blade would scratch the coating, which
wouldn't be seen but I just don't like doing it. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

We use P-90 - easy to put on and position, you can peel it back and reseal it easily again if you need to and does the job very nicely.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I have used different tapes at different times, sometimes it has been because I had that particular tape in stock at that time. I tend to find a narrower tape like P90, or Scotch Magic tape quite easy to apply, having said that, thunder bugs are not something that you encounter around Dartmoor, so I rarely need to take such precautions. P90 in particular folds around the edges very nicely and does not resist being folded as much as stiffer tapes, but like I said use what suits you best.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer