Omer staple guns

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
lehcar32
Organisation: Raven Frames
Interests: Bespoke picture framing

Omer staple guns

Post by lehcar32 »

Originally posted in the wrong section. It is help/advice that I need!

I already have a compressor and I am looking to invest in an Omer staple gun. I will need to use it for canvas stretching and ideally also for stapling MDF backs into frames (we used this method at a previous place I worked by firing them at an angle through the MDF board).

It looks like either the 50.16 or 80.16 would be good models - I can see that 50.16 takes no.50 staples which are wider and better for not tearing canvas - would this one also be suitable for stapling through the MDF backs? What are others' experiences of these models? And can anyone give a simple explanation of what range of staples each take?

Many thanks in advance!
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: Omer staple guns

Post by Steve N »

I use a 80.16 for general use, firing staples in the back of frames (same as you used to do) using 10 an 12mm staples and us a hand stapler for canvases, with the number of canvases we do (not many) a hand stapler is fine, and you don't get them firing straight through the canvas, unless you are doing loads every day , then I wouldn't use a air operated stapler canvases
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
lehcar32
Organisation: Raven Frames
Interests: Bespoke picture framing

Re: Omer staple guns

Post by lehcar32 »

Thanks Steve, that's really helpful. I have struggled in the past operating hand staplers, probably because my girls hands have less strength in them (not that I like to admit it!). That's why I was leaning towards air operated.