air compressor

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Ricky
Organisation: Barnard Castle Framers.
Interests: Art, Photography,Ceramics,
Restoration.Horses.

air compressor

Post by Ricky »

Looks like my old compressor is giving up the ghost it only runs my minigraf 4, so I'm looking for a replacement
any recommendations or will this do the job? https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/quiet-run-compressor-2/
Cheers Ricky
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Re: air compressor

Post by vintage frames »

I think what you're buying there is - silence. I'd be worried that that compressor would be out of breath after one or two underpinner cycles. What you need is a compressor with as large a receiver tank as possible. That one has only 9 litres of air stored. Most compressors have at least 50 or 100 litres storage tanks and that's well enough to run occasional use machines before the compressor needs to kick in for recharge.
Best advice is to buy new or second hand, a compressor with as big a tank as possible and ignore the initial charging up noise.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I've got my eye on exactly the same compressor. I've recently sold my pneumatic underpinner, which I hadly ever used, so I only use a few staple and brad guns and no longer need much volume of air. I've got a Bambi, but instead of paying to get it serviced when I get round to it, it won't cost me much more to get this one as new.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

If you do decide to buy they have regular VAT free days you need to register on there website to get offers so you would get it for £249

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

I'm no expert, but I think this compressor is far too small to run a underpinner like the mingraf 4. I would think the 0.88cfm and 9 litre tank will mean this just can't cope with the air needed to run an underpinner...these types of compressors need to rest between filling cycles and this one will be running constantly to keep up... I'm sure there's some technical data out there for the minimum cfm for underpinners, Lion or Simons machinery departments would probably have the figures... I would think 3cfm and 24 litres at the absolute minimum! and ideally 7cfm and 50 litres
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I currently have a single pot Bambi compressor with a 24 litre receiver tank and although it will run an underpinner, it does not have much reserve capacity. The important figure is in fact not the size of the receiver tank, but there available continuous output. I don't think that the continuous output of a compressor with a 9 litre receiver tank is likely to be adequate for your underpinner.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

Not your average framer wrote: The important figure is in fact not the size of the receiver tank, but there available continuous output.
I would argue that for occasional use, as in a bespoke frame shop, the size of the receiver is more important than the continuous (cfm) air output.
If you have a lot of spraying or running machines on a contract basis, then you need a rotary compressor that will run all day without pausing for breath. Running a piston compressor like that would burn it out.
So if you only need the compressor to come on occasionally, then as big a receiver as possible is best, where it can hold a good reserve of compressed air.
Framemaker is right. That machine is for someone using an air-brush in their kitchen.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Hi Ricky

I would be looking for a compressor more suitable than that shown

I'm on my second twin pot Bambi now. The first purchased many years ago to power a cs cart type underpinner with a very strong air vice :D and the one I have now powers my cs89. Never had a problem with either of them and both silent.

The Bambi is a well trusted compressor that requires minimum maintenance and spares/help/advice is easily available. It is also worth considering buying one having the capability to run other air tools (stapler, tag gun etc.) in the future. :wink:

Peter.
Not your average framer

The point I was making is the the compressor is the bit that determines the air that is available on a continuous basis. A large receiver will at some point run out if the compressor cannot keep pace with demand. In general large receivers are going to be matched with a compressor with a large continuous rating as well, but there is another arguement which also supports that which Vintage framer is suggesting and this is that a large reciever enables the compressor to run less continuously and therefore the compressor has periods of time allowing it to cool down.

I would not personally want to run a compressor with a 9 litre receiver with an underpinner, because you will be waiting at times for the compressor to catch up with the rate at which the underpinner is emptying the receiver on the compressor. If you are not a busy framing business then perhaps you don't mind the fact that you can't use the underpinner for very long without the pressure dropping and the underpinner running out of pressure, which can result in a only partial firing stroke.

For myself, I now no longer have a pnuematic underpinner and I think that 9 litres with be just fine for my collection of staplers and brad guns, which of course require a lot less air to operate them.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

Just out of interest I counted how many operations my Minigraf 4 does before the compressor turns on, the underpinner pressure was set at 65 psi, and with a hydrovane on a 75 litre receiver, the underpinner did 33 operations, or 8.25 frames with one v nail in each corner. Even with variations in leaky air systems or what pressure the compressor refills, is not a huge number of frames.
The Common Framer
Organisation: The Horsell Framing Company
Interests: Photography, Boats

Post by The Common Framer »

i run a cassesse two pneumatic under pinner with a cheap Orazi quiet compressor bought on internet. works a treat - £89.00 and adequately quiet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/241183-Silent- ... B00K30LHVS
DEEPJOY
Organisation: inPicture Framing
Interests: Framing, Photography, Aircooled VW and time to be creative.

Post by DEEPJOY »

The Common Framer wrote:i run a cassesse two pneumatic under pinner with a cheap Orazi quiet compressor bought on internet. works a treat - £89.00 and adequately quiet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/241183-Silent- ... B00K30LHVS
How quiet is this compressor, is it on par with a Bambi?
The Common Framer
Organisation: The Horsell Framing Company
Interests: Photography, Boats

Post by The Common Framer »

Not heard a bambi but i find it very quiet. I have another that runs quietly but makes a loud hiss when the tank is full. This one however, is very unobtrusive.