Get help and framing advice from the framing community
joh5nny
Organisation: Tutto Framing
Interests: Photography, walking, travel

Moulding ID please

Post by joh5nny »

IMG_0609.JPG
IMG_0609.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 3711 times
Can anyone help point me in the right direction for this moulding...it's 27mm wide. Thanks in advance.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Moulding ID please

Post by Not your average framer »

It's WW79 by Norfolk Mouldings. It's a bare wood moulding, so you will have to paint it black yourself. Measuring from the catalogue 27mm wide, 30mm deep and rebate depth is 14mm.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
China shop
Organisation: Framing shop & Gallery
Interests: Sport, framing

Post by China shop »

Arqadia do something very similar in two widths, the 35mm wide one is 255201000 then there is a wider one. Can’t tell from your photo but this one has a touch of gold in it as well so not completely black.
Roger
China shop
Organisation: Framing shop & Gallery
Interests: Sport, framing

Post by China shop »

Sorry only just noticed you said it was 27mm :oops:
Roger
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

The Arqadia one might still be a better option, if you don't want to order 100 feet from Norfolk Mouldings.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Timh
Organisation: kingswood frames and mirors
Interests: framing and framing history manufacture of mouldings and decorated frames

Post by Timh »

Hi joh5nny
it looks like it might be one of ours
does it have a Kingswood label on the back?
If so, let me know how much you need and I can run a couple of lengths

Tim
joh5nny
Organisation: Tutto Framing
Interests: Photography, walking, travel

Post by joh5nny »

Thanks for all your replies. I need to match an existing frame, so unfortunately the dimensions and finish are all important. I suppose that precludes the Arqadia option, but thanks China Shop for your help.

Thanks Mark for directing me towards Norfolk Mouldings. I hadn't actually heard of them, so have been in touch and got a catalogue. I agree that it looks like one of theirs, but from what you're saying, I'd need to order quite a bit, so that's not really a viable option given it's just a one off.

There's no Kingswood label on the back Tim, so I can't tell if it's yours. Presumably you'd be supplying it as a bare wood moulding? The reason I ask is that this particular customer is quite picky and wants an identical match to the existing frame. As the framer who did the last one is local and the moulding will need to match, I'm thinking that I might just need to suggest my customer goes and gets it done in the same place as the first one!
Not your average framer

Have a look at Rose and Hollis moulding A299, it's wider that you are looking for, but if you've got the facilities it might be worth buying some of that and cutting it down to the width you require.

I've been think about doing this myself, now I've got a router table and can add a rebate to the bit that's left over. I like moulding with the smaller reeded effect, because it works so well for distressed two colour finishes and I think looks much better than the large reeded effect, which you see on some mouldings.

I think that the reeded effect can add some extra visual interest which can make a simple distressed finish look extra stunning compared to the same distressed finish on just a plain flat moulding. For me the narrower reeded effect is more like a texture and surface textures go down very well where I am based.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer