velum

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
jon buck
Organisation: Forge Framing Studio
Interests: golf music reading drinking wine and eating fresh food

velum

Post by jon buck »

Had an old velum map dropped in for framing , very cockled . Not sure how to approach this one. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Regards

Jon
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: velum

Post by JFeig »

Flattening a real vellum (animal skin) document can be flattened by a conservator or an old-time picture framer who knows the proper method(s).
It is not a process for an inexperienced picture framer who has not done this before.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
jon buck

Post by jon buck »

Theres the nub, it has supposedly been sorted by a conservator , but is still very wavy. Me thinks best not to get involved.

Thanks for reply
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

Don't ever try to flatten velum. It will move, ripple and fold no matter what you try to do to it - apart from ruin it by trying to stick it down. But that's the beauty of it.
Frame it as an object with plenty of room inside between glass and backing. If I was framing it I would hinge it with Japenese mulberry paper "pass-through" hinges onto a piece of museum board cut 20mm smaller all round. Then glue the board to a slightly smaller again piece of foam board. Then glue all this to the main museum back-board. Allow a reasonably generous border all round inside the frame.
You could do the same inside a very(very) thick mount but this might look a bit clumsy.
I would keep the frame as simple as possible.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
prospero

Post by prospero »

Some things are just not meant to be 'neat'. :roll:

Treat it as a 3D object. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
jon buck

Post by jon buck »

Thanks for the advice . I will give it a go .

Jon
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

How big is this velum map? I used to do stuff like this on a regular basis before I became a picture framer. I am also presuming to this item is either old, or least does not look particularly modern. Depending up on the size and how far the detail on this map extends towards the edge of the velum, it may be appropriate to secure the corners with pass through short lengths of ribbon which pass through a stout piece of conservation grade mountboard.

It is what it is and adding deep mounts and other things inside the frame which may not look in keeping with an items like this, does not always look appropriate, so be careful to not over do have you intend to present this. This need not be a difficult job to do keep it simple and straight forward and it should be fine. Also be careful not to use mountboard colours which may look to modern, maybe nice muted and subdued colours.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
jon buck

Post by jon buck »

Thank you Mark , sound advice.

Jon
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

BTW, you should allow quite a bit of space for the velum to cockle. It will want to do it own thing according to the time of year and changes in humidity that follows the seasons and you just have to accept this.

Don't just assume that 12mm clearance behind the glass will be enough, there's no guarantee that it won't need more than this. With experience you can make a good guess about how much space is needed, but I would say "play safe and add a bit extra" to be safe. Probably a 19mm Rose and Hollis F3 oak spacer would do nicely.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer