Best Adhesive??

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Best Adhesive??

Post by StevenG »

'evening folks...

I've got a old metal 'license' plate from a horse & cart. The customer isn't concerned with conservation methods, they just want it stuck onto the mountboard, my question simply is - what's the best adhesive for this particular job? :)
Attachments
IMG_20180320_144207.jpg
IMG_20180320_144207.jpg (3.31 MiB) Viewed 5135 times
IMG_20180320_144159.jpg
IMG_20180320_144159.jpg (3.34 MiB) Viewed 5135 times
prospero

Re: Best Adhesive??

Post by prospero »

As it's already got holes I would 'stitch' it with fine copper wire.

Silicone would probably stick it, but I would stick it to something more solid than mountboard.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

The sign does not look particularly pristine. I would be thinking that if you are mounting the sign onto mountboard, then the mountboard needs to look a bit scruffy as well to look right.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
StevenG
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

prospero wrote:As it's already got holes I would 'stitch' it with fine copper wire.

Silicone would probably stick it, but I would stick it to something more solid than mountboard.

Actually, I did suggest that but they weren't interested and they thought it might flatten it too much - also they didn't want to see any methods :?

It isn't all that heavy - ideally I'd attach it to a little bit of foamboard and then attach that to the mountboard. Do you reckon silicone would work or do i need something else. I do have a bottle of Titebond Polyurethane Liquid Glue somewhere (https://www.axminster.co.uk/titebond-po ... ue-ax22585), any thoughts on that?
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

Not your average framer wrote:The sign does not look particularly pristine. I would be thinking that if you are mounting the sign onto mountboard, then the mountboard needs to look a bit scruffy as well to look right.
Interesting :) But I don't think that's what she's after. Thanks anyway for the idea :clap:
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

It would look good rivited but think the holes may be too big
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

I'd first stick the mountboard to some plywood with PVA. Then just use blobs of Gripfill to fix it to the boards. That way it retains the wrinkles and sits slightly proud of the board.
You could paint the mountboard with some diluted raw umber watercolour or acrylic. Always best to use the cheaper "student" grades as they "wash - down" better.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

vintage frames wrote: You could paint the mountboard with some diluted raw umber watercolour or acrylic. Always best to use the cheaper "student" grades as they "wash - down" better.
Cool tip - I'll add that to the filing cabinet - it'll be used sometime :)
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

What about using those self adhesive pads intended for sticking number plates on?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/number ... gIvS_D_BwE
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

If its from a wagon, I would fix it onto some nice framed wood. The metal would need cleaning back to give a good adhesion, where required. Silicone, sticks like sh#t, gh10 ph10? Something 10 anyway. They'll all give off serious vapours... Industrial superglue? Everbuild HV50 50 g High Viscosity Industrial Superglue https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0012RGKJK/ ... SAb3NP40ZD
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I would put some old screws through the holes and fix them right through the mountboard into backing board or a wooden back if heavy.
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

All great ideas guys - I'll keep them in mind for the future. :D This particular customer,though, wants to keep the banged up/mangled look of the item. I'd like to keep the 'floating' idea though. I'll give the back a good scrub and try the gripfill/silicone route mounted onto a little something & then onto the mountboard.

Honestly though, some really nice suggestions :clap: :)
Kevindaniel
Organisation: Sligo picture framing
Interests: Football. Table tennis.draughts.

Post by Kevindaniel »

Seriously great stuff does it for me
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

Kevindaniel wrote:Seriously great stuff does it for me

With a name like that I'd be disappointed if it didn't! I'll add some to my shopping list :)